Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke lost drive

Had the boat out today, 10 mins in, steaming about 18 knots engine rev increased along with high pitch squeal and slowing down. Throttled back to neutral and killed the engine. We checked the prop was still there, wasn't snagged on rope or net. Put it back down, restarted and into gear, same squeal, no progress and it didn't seem the prop was spinning.

After a sea start tow back I ran it up on muffs and the prop didn't spin in neutral which it normally does, slowly but it did turn. When the engine is off and in gear the prop turns easily one way but not the other.

Will get back down to it soon and take the prop and drain the gearbox oil and drop the gearbox off.

Seems they have a rubber/plastic hub the prop is mounted on so could be that or the gearbox itself I assume?

Any other suggestions?

Possibly the sacrificial prop hub. But I'm not sure about the squeal. Sounds a bit iffy, like a bearing has run dry perhaps? Get the prop off and you'll soon see if it's the hub or something further up the drive-train.

4 hours ago, LostPiker said:

This seems to be the only forum I seems to be able to post in?

Hoping one of you experts can help solve why our outboard lost all drive

Not an expert but:

Have you lost drive in fwd and reverse?

Potential issues are prop slipping on hub

Gear linkage out of adjustment

Driveshaft splines worn

drive pinion spline/pin sheared

Drive gear teeth stripped

12 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Not an expert but:

Have you lost drive in fwd and reverse?

Potential issues are prop slipping on hub

Gear linkage out of adjustment

Driveshaft splines worn

drive pinion spline/pin sheared

Drive gear teeth stripped

Don't think it's the linkage as it appears to go into gear, just the gear isn't connected to the prop anymore. 

I don't think we tried reverse

26 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Prop bush possibly. Do you have another prop you could try?

No we don't.

Hoping to get down to it today and get the prop off and maybe the gearbox. Can the gearboxes be rebuilt? I assume its much simpler than a car or motor bike box as there aren't multiple gear? Is it more of a transfer case?

11 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Don't think it's the linkage as it appears to go into gear, just the gear isn't connected to the prop anymore. 

I don't think we tried reverse

No we don't.

Hoping to get down to it today and get the prop off and maybe the gearbox. Can the gearboxes be rebuilt? I assume its much simpler than a car or motor bike box as there aren't multiple gear? Is it more of a transfer case?

Pretty straight forward, just 2 bevel gears and pinion and a dog clutch arrangement and 2 bearings

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Pretty straight forward, just 2 bevel gears and pinion and a dog clutch arrangement and 2 bearings

Got it apart. Sadly not the prop hub. Drained the gearbox oil and the drain plug is covered in iron filings and what little oil there was in there is the special glittery type. Got the lower unit off and trying to work out how it comes apart. Looks like you need a special tool to remove a collar behind the prop?

26 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Got it apart. Sadly not the prop hub. Drained the gearbox oil and the drain plug is covered in iron filings and what little oil there was in there is the special glittery type. Got the lower unit off and trying to work out how it comes apart. Looks like you need a special tool to remove a collar behind the prop?

Got mine with a blunt screw driver and ammer, you could make a peg socket to suit. I have a 60c (twin) and a 55 that may be the same if you need a tool making

18 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Got mine with a blunt screw driver and ammer, you could make a peg socket to suit. I have a 60c (twin) and a 55 that may be the same if you need a tool making

I think I'll try and get a replacement first then attack it with a punch and hammer. The manual I have suggests breaking it as a means of removal. Failing that I can make a tool, need to find uses for the new tig welder I bought 

Also looking for a used lower if I can find one.

Any tips for a source of parts if I do rebuild

1 hour ago, LostPiker said:

It's a long shaft and I think the 55 is different but thanks for thinking of me

I have a manual already but thanks for the offer.

I spoke to Barry at Windsor Marine this morning who serviced it and is sorting an auxiliary that was in a shed for about 10 years that I was given. He has very kindly offered me to borrow the special tools and to offer advice so fingers crossed it should rise from the ashes soon

Fingers crossed for you 🙂 

On 9/12/2022 at 2:42 PM, LostPiker said:

It's a long shaft and I think the 55 is different but thanks for thinking of me

I have a manual already but thanks for the offer.

I spoke to Barry at Windsor Marine this morning who serviced it and is sorting an auxiliary that was in a shed for about 10 years that I was given. He has very kindly offered me to borrow the special tools and to offer advice so fingers crossed it should rise from the ashes soon

Barry sounds like a good egg, fair play to him 😇

• 2 weeks later...

update, got the tool but the collar was stuck fast. Removed it with assistance from a drill, chisel and hammer.

Tried to get the bearing carrier out with a slide hammer puller and failed. Got a long legged puller on order and will attack it again when it arrives along with a blow torch. Watched a youtube video of someone having to destroy it and the prop shaft to get it out so hopefully won't need to go that far.

haven't been able to source a second hand replacement other than based in Ireland and the guy wants €1,200 for it. There is a funny little speed boat thing on a trailer for £2,400 that has a 70hp yam 2 stroke on it so if its hopeless I might buy that and take the motor and hope to get a bit of money back for the rest