Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke lost drive

11 hours ago, LostPiker said:

It's a 1998 Yamaha 2 stroke autolube, not sure on the model number

ok, theres 3 variants of the 3 cyclinder models, C,E and P, and the casings have different part numbers, though according to crowly marine, the p and e are the same as one superceeds the other. No idea what the differences are, but there are......

Edited by suzook12

On 9/24/2022 at 8:34 AM, suzook12 said:

Thanks, saved it just in case.

This is puller mod mk1

Resizer_16641186090991.thumb.jpeg.59765817707487aa03caffeb49693cd1.jpeg

School boy error was not centreing the arms so it would go off to the side when under pressure.

This is mk2

Resizer_16641186209865.thumb.jpeg.96576fddc15885dd1dc75f5ee55bab01.jpeg

I cut a slit up the middle and welded the other arm in the middle. Sadly the puller arms were crap and the foot snapped off.

So mk3 was built 

Resizer_16641186216659.thumb.jpeg.a37569f16b08bca2378cf280921c15d0.jpeg

I bent 2 bits of steel rod to u shape, looped them under the bearing carrier and welded them to the puller arms. Wound the pressure on and heated the case. Eventually, success 

Resizer_166411862201711.thumb.jpeg.5faf17d803680b5d7f57ec2f1bef4444.jpeg

Still can't get the prop shaft out, from the manual it looks like the gear should have come out with the carrier? Do I need to pull the prop shaft out I've removed the shift rod. I was thinking of putting something between the prop shaft and case and using the prop nut to pull it out as it tighten down

Edited by LostPiker

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to pull the rest of the gearbox apart.

Resizer_16650002449169.thumb.jpeg.17b775c54bab94bc5bbc5ea843ca3339.jpegResizer_16650002441203.thumb.jpeg.8f5d0a961e5bf11ef3b874bf1d0fad13.jpeg

The Eagle eyed will notice the 2 piece pinion gear. Gear has split and rounded the splines off the bottom of the drive shaft. The pieces broken off haven't done the gears much good either. Stripped it all out and it looks like it needs all 3 gears and bearings, drive shaft and bearings at least but if we do rebuild I think I'll do the bearing carrier and dog clutch as well. Off to see Barry at Winsor Marine to price it all Friday. 

Been to see Barry Winsor. Not good news, the prop shaft and bearing carrier are the only salvageable parts and the drive shaft isn't available so unless I can find a good second hand gearbox the outboard is dead. So far the only gearbox I have been able to locate is brand new for £2-£3k depending on the exact model or a second hand one in Ireland for €1,200 plus shipping. Neither are worth it so it looks like unless something comes up its a new engine. Just had all the windows done at home so not exactly flush at the moment 😞

Hopefully the rest of the outboard will break for a bit of money, the engine was running like a dream before the gearbox went pop

10 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Been to see Barry Winsor. Not good news, the prop shaft and bearing carrier are the only salvageable parts and the drive shaft isn't available so unless I can find a good second hand gearbox the outboard is dead. So far the only gearbox I have been able to locate is brand new for £2-£3k depending on the exact model or a second hand one in Ireland for €1,200 plus shipping. Neither are worth it so it looks like unless something comes up its a new engine. Just had all the windows done at home so not exactly flush at the moment 😞

Hopefully the rest of the outboard will break for a bit of money, the engine was running like a dream before the gearbox went pop

Sorry to hear that. As you say, either a good used gearbox or a complete engine then. Fingers crossed you can find one of either for reasonable money.

4 hours ago, LostPiker said:

What is the actual damage? I would imagine the shaft can be made and heat treated, the gears should be able to turn up somewhere, or again, have them made.

Unless

6 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Unless you can find a good gearbox for less than £500, you will be better off cutting your losses and trying for a S/H 60 4 stroke. 😉

13 hours ago, suzook12 said:

What is the actual damage? I would imagine the shaft can be made and heat treated, the gears should be able to turn up somewhere, or again, have them made.

Cost is the limiting factor. Its an old 2 stroke so I don't think it's worth spending much over £500 on it. Having a shaft made as a on off would cost thousands

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Do you really think it's just 2-3 hours for a shaft with splines each end, a taper and threaded end and 2 bearing surfaces? I would have though cutting one set of splines and the material would be over £500 alone?

6 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Do you really think it's just 2-3 hours for a shaft with splines each end, a taper and threaded end and 2 bearing surfaces? I would have though cutting one set of splines and the material would be over £500 alone?

Hardly mate. it's only a bit of bar, possibly stainless, more likely steel with a surface treatment......

Turn and srew cut nothing serious for an accomplished machinist, splines easy as well once you've done the setup. Ask about mate.

Whats actually wrong with the original shaft?

The bevelled geares are possibly a bit more involved as they have the dog clutch inbuilt as well, but again, can be done.....

But you will find it all if you have the time, just do the research....

On 10/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, suzook12 said:

Hardly mate. it's only a bit of bar, possibly stainless, more likely steel with a surface treatment......

Turn and srew cut nothing serious for an accomplished machinist, splines easy as well once you've done the setup. Ask about mate.

Whats actually wrong with the original shaft?

The bevelled geares are possibly a bit more involved as they have the dog clutch inbuilt as well, but again, can be done.....

But you will find it all if you have the time, just do the research....

Ok, sounds like it might be worth investigating. I can buy all the other parts. The issue with the shaft is the splines on one end have been rounded off so they don't grip the gear

1 hour ago, LostPiker said:

Ok, sounds like it might be worth investigating. I can buy all the other parts. The issue with the shaft is the splines on one end have been rounded off so they don't grip the gear

I fear you may be right about the cost of getting a one off item fabricated, unless you know someone in the game. My only experience of going to an engineering shop was paying £50 to get a broken bolt extracted that took the guy about a minute most likely.

I think you will walk away feeling violated. 

Noticed on eBay while browsing there is a site selling all the parts you require for Yamaha 60hp gear box ,ie main and pinion gear dog clutch splined gear shaft etc ,all new copies I assume prices £60 ish for each part from Taiwan def worth a look !, it’s boatpropeller2015 on eBay , good luck!

Well, ya got 2 options with the shaft, get one made or buy one. A new one is really gonna violate your pocket, 500 euros plus shipping vat etc, wait for a second hand one to turn up at decent money, or get one made or that one fixed. Possible candidate for a weld repair.... Have a word with doubleboost on youtube, he may well be able to sort you at a sensible price

• 3 weeks later...