What next?

Andy135

After a bittersweet departure, Jersey Girl has gone to a new home. Sad to see her go, but for me it was the right move.

Originally I was thinking of replacing her with a rib, but now I'm not so sure.

I want something smaller, lighter, trailerable. A rib ticks all these boxes but I keep wondering about another hard boat.

Over to you lot - what style of boat should I go for next? A rib or something else? Is there such a thing as a trailerable diesel maybe?

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

After a bittersweet departure, Jersey Girl has gone to a new home. Sad to see her go, but for me it was the right move.

I want something smaller, lighter, trailerable. A rib ticks all these boxes but I keep wondering about another hard boat.

Over to you lot - what style of boat should I go for next? A rib or something else? Is there such a thing as a trailerable diesel maybe?

Loads of people trailer launch 21’ diesel boats, if you need any help picking a defender out to tow it then just ask. 

38 minutes ago, JonC said:

Loads of people trailer launch 21’ diesel boats, if you need any help picking a defender out to tow it then just ask. 

Defender eh? You know I do actually want to tow with it, not fix it, right?

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

A rib ticks all these boxes but I keep wondering about another hard boat.

A RIB works for me, because they are easy to launch / recover, and I don't go out in the rain, but being retired, I get to pick and choose. They are also quite quick, even in iffy conditions, which suits me fine.

However, a RIB does involve a lot more of washing/cleaning maintenance to keep them looking nice, and Mack blood /shite / scales can be hard to remove from the tubes, however, the secret is to leave it wet to soften the crap, and it comes off a lot easier. Also when I had it built, I got them to put on extra 'wear' patches, which also makes life easier.

Edited by GPSguru

9 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I thought the reasoning behind selling JG and buying a rib was so that you could pull the kids in over the soft sides easier, and hence get them more interested and involved in boating? 
Has this been forgotten amongst the plethora of choice in the sweet shop? 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I thought the reasoning behind selling JG and buying a rib was so that you could pull the kids in over the soft sides easier, and hence get them more interested and involved in boating? 
Has this been forgotten amongst the plethora of choice in the sweet shop? 

It is. But I don't want to be changing boats again any time soon so I'm curious to see what others think about alternatives before I make a decision.

27 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Stay away from a re- tube as tubes will cost about £5k - £8k depending on rib size.

True, but that would be the whole point of a project rib for me. New tubes and engine, then run it for a couple of seasons and move it on.

22 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

True, but that would be the whole point of a project rib for me. New tubes and engine, then run it for a couple of seasons and move it on.

Ah ok, it is that some folk do not realise the cost of tubes when budgeting. Budget for £600 - £1000 per metre fitted.

22 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Is there such a thing as a trailerable diesel maybe?

There is, but it is not a boat - Landrover!!!   (trailable). Geoff. 😉   

Ok this is going to be controversial…. But why buy a boat? 

If you’re not sure on what to buy, not sure how often you can get out why tie your funds up in GRP when you can pre-book a dozen charter trips per year and then jump on with any invites that come your way? It’ll be more cost effective and once you find out if the kids will like it or you finally decide what you want to do buy a boat then…. But it seems you didn’t want the hassle of trailer launching, but don’t want to be tied to one port…. In that case, jump on a charter…. There are a lot of boats about that’ll offer uou an excellent days fishing without the hassle… then maybe have a SIB to muck about on for holidays etc….

Edited by Odyssey

58 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Ok this is going to be controversial…. But why buy a boat? 

If you’re not sure on what to buy, not sure how often you can get out why tie your funds up in GRP when you can pre-book a dozen charter trips per year and then jump on with any invites that come your way? It’ll be more cost effective and once you find out if the kids will like it or you finally decide what you want to do buy a boat then…. But it seems you didn’t want the hassle of trailer launching, but don’t want to be tied to one port…. In that case, jump on a charter…. There are a lot of boats about that’ll offer uou an excellent days fishing without the hassle… then maybe have a SIB to muck about on for holidays etc….

sounds like a plan.

no cleaning , maintenance  , insurance or other costs.

3 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

sounds like a plan.

no cleaning , maintenance  , insurance or other costs.

Or fun, or sense of adventure, or sense of achievement or solitude and relaxation!!!

it's a crap idea and @Odyssey should hang his head!!

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or fun, or sense of adventure, or sense of achievement or solitude and relaxation!!!

it's a crap idea and @Odyssey should hang his head!!

but  but  , he is know butting from the charter point of vew