What next?

Andy135

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or fun, or sense of adventure, or sense of achievement or solitude and relaxation!!!

it's a crap idea and @Odyssey should hang his head!!

You mean he does this already? 

More sense of adventure when you’re off to different ports chasing different species….

The problem with charters is unless you know who is going to be onboard then you can be in the middle of a load of noobies making your day hellish.

I have been out with great skippers and had a ball but it was because everyone had at least a bit of a clue what they were doing. I've also been on the opposite end and been surrounded by people who didn't know which end of the rod to hold! 

That said, there will be a time when I will have to rely on a charter or give up going to sea and return to dangling from a pier.

I think it depends on what kind of fishing you want… not all charters are full of numptys…. But it’s an option to consider or just become a boat floozy and jump on anything you can get an offer for 🤣🤣🤣

Tarlach Too has got a great first mate, catches a lot of fish…. Maybe a good option to blag an invite on 🙂 

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Ok this is going to be controversial…. But why buy a boat? 

If you’re not sure on what to buy, not sure how often you can get out why tie your funds up in GRP when you can pre-book a dozen charter trips per year and then jump on with any invites that come your way? It’ll be more cost effective and once you find out if the kids will like it or you finally decide what you want to do buy a boat then…. But it seems you didn’t want the hassle of trailer launching, but don’t want to be tied to one port…. In that case, jump on a charter…. There are a lot of boats about that’ll offer uou an excellent days fishing without the hassle… then maybe have a SIB to muck about on for holidays etc….

Good suggestion - I must admit, that this thought has crossed my mind already, in particular keeing a SIB down in the south-west and using it for calm summer days with the kids on the beach and in the estuaries.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Good suggestion - I must admit, that this thought has crossed my mind already, in particular keeing a SIB down in the south-west and using it for calm summer days with the kids on the beach and in the estuaries.

Bit of lure fishing for bass, pollack etc 🙂 

Charters for your offshore trips snd let someone else do the work…. 

This is as someone who came close to selling up and packing in boating given the costs/usage rate didn’t add up… I’ve since changed my mind but when you do the maths, boat ownership does t make sense, especially if you live far from coast and have family ties etc….

I now have a wifey who says I’m to keep boat and should be looking to upgrade to cheetah cat in a few years…. So I’m not seeming up for a while yet 🤣

Edited by Odyssey

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Bit of lure fishing for bass, pollack etc 🙂 

Yep, that's right. An early morning dash out to bag a pollack and some mackerel for tea, then back in time for breakfast.

A SIB will also get me out with my spear-fishing gear too... 

I have a friend with a lovely smartliner he bought new - he's retired so has no restrictions on days/times, he has 2 friends to split fuel with, and lives walking distance to the marina, but he is also considering selling up and doing charter trips instead - it does make sense, but then you have to plan ahead, your at the mercy of the skipper, and cant just take a quick evening session at short notice.    

7 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

I have a friend with a lovely smartliner he bought new - he's retired so has no restrictions on days/times, he has 2 friends to split fuel with, and lives walking distance to the marina, but he is also considering selling up and doing charter trips instead - it does make sense, but then you have to plan ahead, your at the mercy of the skipper, and cant just take a quick evening session at short notice.    

Also the weather is not your friend on planned charter trips. Just ask @suzook12

32 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

SIBs and spears? really? i wouldn't..... id be left with a deflated feeling lol.

Yeah, on the face of it it seems like a recipe for disaster, but the reality is that it's no worse, and probably better, than having hooks and knives on board.

11 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, on the face of it it seems like a recipe for disaster, but the reality is that it's no worse, and probably better, than having hooks and knives on board.

Generally it is not at problem. Many dive boats are RIBS and I have only ever had one puncture accident with a filleting knife, which was entirely my fault. Hooks tend to slide across hypalon without digging in.

when I punctured the tube on my last boat, we still came back in an iffy sea at planing speed for 15Nm with no problem. It was the port stern chamber. 

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

This looks quite appealing. Compact enough to fit in the car or leave in Devon and use as a 3 season boat for calm days.

https://www.inflatableboatfishing.com/

I give you half a season before you realise you've made a mistake! 

27 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I give you half a season before you realise you've made a mistake! 

Not purposely being a negi, just addressing the balance. I just think you'll get bored of not having a boat to use freely and at the drop of a hat! 

Charter boats were mentioned above, my thoughts are that it’s nice being driven out and catching some fish but the sense of reward isn’t there, it’s all down to the driver to put you on the fish and he’s the one that should get the credit for the day’s catch. 
There are loosely organised clubs that do regular trips, I’ve done that in the past they all seemed to die out due to people blowing trips out or even worse no shows. 

53 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

This looks quite appealing. Compact enough to fit in the car or leave in Devon and use as a 3 season boat for calm days.

https://www.inflatableboatfishing.com/

They look great in the summer but from October around to May I recon that would be prohibitively cold and miserable. 
Be realistic if you’re boy wasn’t overly enthusiastic on a decent size pilot house boat then being on that in anything other than a heat wave will just put him off for life. 

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

There are loosely organised clubs that do regular trips, I’ve done that in the past they all seemed to die out due to people blowing trips out or even worse no shows. 

its always someone's cousin's hamsters bahmitsva or something......

3 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

its always someone's cousin's hamsters bahmitsva or something......

It’s always something like that. 
When I did regular trips out of Dover a guy used to hold a cheque for the cost of a trip from each of us as a deposit, only to be used in the event of a no show. 

17 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or a mothers birthday, or even your own and your not allowed to go!

um i went fishing on my bday - on my boat....? that's what I wanted to do..... 

anyway my hamster is now a jehova so no drama for the next one!