Radar reflector

Neil, revert to your plan A (staying moored on the pontoon). That would save a heap of money, remove the need to re route the aerial cable and stop the cushions getting smelly!!! If you want a bit of bling you could of course strut mount a radome enclosure.:classic_wink: Geoff.

Edited by Geoff
omitted words

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Neil, revert to your plan A (staying moored on the pontoon). That would a heap of money, remove the need to re route the aerial cable, stop the cushions getting smelly!!! If you want a bit of bling you could of course strut mount a radome enclosure.:classic_wink: Geoff.

Thanks Geoff for your sagely words of wisdom. Don’t you have something to get on with!! 🙄

3 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Pretty sure most radar doesn't just look forward,  mine gives a 360 view around me.  I mounted my radar deflector above the radar

Yep....

It does give an all round vision, it’s not just a case of looking for a blob on a screen on your heading bearing.... anything that is moving closer to the centre (you) is of worry.... Especially if you’re a WAFI doing 4knts and you got some hooligan in a fishing boat coming at you at 25knts..... 😁😁😁😁😁(Which is prob most of us at least once....) 🤣🤣

28 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yep....

It does give an all round vision, it’s not just a case of looking for a blob on a screen on your heading bearing.... anything that is moving closer to the centre (you) is of worry.... Especially if you’re a WAFI doing 4knts and you got some hooligan in a fishing boat coming at you at 25knts..... 😁😁😁😁😁(Which is prob most of us at least once....) 🤣🤣

You did a radar user coarse recently didn’t you? Is there any little too tips that everyone gets wrong?

7 hours ago, Odyssey said:

however it’s not perfect on bearings.

That will be due to the scatter effect of the RF signal, it would be made worse by any obstruction within the fresnel zone. As we all know the bearing is the angle between North and the target, and its accuracy depends upon how North is defined by the Radar unit. Most modern Radars will use GPS to define North or a gyro signal is used where azimuth stabilization is used. The accuracy of a well setup system can be as good as +/- 1% .

It is 20 years or more since I played / worked with radar, so I guess even the pulse radars of today have come on a long way since then ......... Doppler direction finding is more my bag .........

Edited by GPSguru

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That will be due to the scatter effect of the RF signal, it would be made worse by any obstruction within the fresnel zone. As we all know the bearing is the angle between North and the target, and its accuracy depends upon how North is defined by the Radar unit. Most modern Radars will use GPS to define North or a gyro signal is used where azimuth stabilization is used. The accuracy of a well setup system can be as good as +/- 1% .

It is 20 years or more since I played / worked with radar, so I guess even the pulse radars of today have come on a long way since then ......... Doppler direction finding is more my bag .........

Sounds about right 🙂

Just avoid using radar for your 3 point fix.... 😉 Instead fix your position by range to known objects/landmarks and depth to work out your position.

I’d did ask in my training as to why I’d do that given that both radar and depth are fed into the same MFD that is my plotter.... the response was that GPS satellites may have stopped working..... so I won’t go into too much detail about navigating using radar as I’m not sure it’s needed..... 😉 

On 1/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Seeing as I have my radome on order, I’m also thinking about an eco max mini deflector. Question is, can I sight it right next to the radar either to the left or right of it? As king as it’s not forward of it, it should be ok ??

Remember that your radar looks 360 degrees around the boat, so your ehcomax should either go above the radome or below the radome. On the RIB mine is down low and just above the tubes, but works absolutely fine ............. the ehcomax is classed as one of the best on the leisure / small professional market and does provide a good solid taget, therefore mounting position is probably less important than with octahedral (rain catchers\) type products.

Here you can see mine on the stern starboard side.

IMG_1811.jpg.6464a6343809c6a3d063bc438d743e03.jpg

Edited by GPSguru

26 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

As my understanding is that a radar works line of sight, @GPSguru can yours be seen thru the fibreglass consul with it mounted there? Or does that cause a slight blind spot? Or has this never been tested for?

If his reflector is obscured then it’s not a problem as whatever is obscuring it will show as a target. I think? 

58 minutes ago, JonC said:

If his reflector is obscured then it’s not a problem as whatever is obscuring it will show as a target. I think? 

But a different style of target? Sorry, I have no knowledge at all of radar other than real basic understanding. It was the saying that a GRP hull will show as scatter? That made me wonder if this would cause a blind spot at range where the reflector would normally be seen easily...

I'm guessing that scatter is the signal being scattered in all directions so only a partial amount is reflected?

5 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

But a different style of target? Sorry, I have no knowledge at all of radar other than real basic understanding. It was the saying that a GRP hull will show as scatter? That made me wonder if this would cause a blind spot at range where the reflector would normally be seen easily...

I'm guessing that scatter is the signal being scattered in all directions so only a partial amount is reflected?

Yeah will show as a weaker target but still there I think. Where’s Glen liver when you need him, he was the radar operator on the belgrano or something. 

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

GRP doesn’t give a good reflection as the waves go straight through it 

So when I get a return from a boat that is mainly grp is it from the grp or the metallic bits on the boat? 
I think I need to spend more time watching the screen so as to learn what’s what. 

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

As my understanding is that a radar works line of sight, @GPSguru can yours be seen thru the fibreglass consul with it mounted there? Or does that cause a slight blind spot? Or has this never been tested for?

No blind spot from the console, as an obstruction it is way too small. You need to imagine the radar is not singular, it is 3D ............ so a full 360 Degree signal would be the classical doughnut shape.

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

No blind spot from the console, as an obstruction it is way too small. You need to imagine the radar is not singular, it is 3D ............ so a full 360 Degree signal would be the classical doughnut shape.

I like doughnuts 

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

So if you put your echomax behind a wall of GRP the other boats radar still see's it? I get radar transmits in a 360 degree shape but we're talking talking of seeing an object from an angle that it is out of view.... You said earlier GRP scatters the signal

14 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

You said earlier GRP scatters the signal

Er no, if did then it was badly written ! 😀

GRP is almost 'see through' for microwave signals, that is why GRP boats need a radar reflector to act as a 'target'. On a rag and stick the metal work of the mast will give a tiny reflection, and they often enhance this by raising an octahedral reflector (rain catcher) up the mast in foggy weather.

Steel boats will show as a massive and excellent target .............

Radar 'scatter' is a natural phenomenon that occurs to all radio signal over a body of water and it due to mainly water reflections,  wave reflections, and temperature inversion', but  'scatter' can have a negative effect when determining accurate direction in relation to true North.

Edited by GPSguru

6 hours ago, suzook12 said:

ok, now we understand each other, GRP has little or no reflection because radar signal goes through it, in much the same way your GPS still works in a cabin,,,,,

You got it!