Covid Vac

Geoff

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Just read this article about whether the government should include vaccine refusers in their calculations on when and whether to lift restrictions. I'm inclined to agree with Mark Harper... "if you don't get vaccinated the consequences are on you."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56043196

Completely agree! 

We need to get this into perspective. If you turn down care tough luck. Move on with it. If you choose to do drugs, well bad things are likely to happen. Stop with the nanny state and let people take account of their actions 

23 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Completely agree! 

We need to get this into perspective. If you turn down care tough luck. Move on with it. If you choose to do drugs, well bad things are likely to happen. Stop with the nanny state and let people take account of their actions 

It’s ok letting people suffer the consequences of their own actions, when those consequences knock on to other people it becomes a problem 

42 minutes ago, JonC said:

It’s ok letting people suffer the consequences of their own actions, when those consequences knock on to other people it becomes a problem 

I agree with that but we need to be careful around the impact of this...

80% of deaths are in those aged 75+. They make up around 20% of the population. thankfully vast majority have been vaccinated. 

Im not knocking this virus but the effects are significantly reduced the younger you are. Older people die from flu as well. Fortunately we now have better treatment to cope. 

You can’t hold the population to ransom because some won’t get vaccinated. Obviously there is a knock on effect but unless you make illegal then not much you can do.

Always people not thinking of others. Look at other things such as alcohol, smoking, drug use, violence to others. Terrible things but you can’t lock the entire country down “just in case”

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Always people not thinking of others

That’s not what it is. Some people (and I’m one of them) won’t have any vaccination that has been rushed through. Not at least until it becomes apparent that there are no long term side effects. 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That’s not what it is. Some people (and I’m one of them) won’t have any vaccination that has been rushed through. Not at least until it becomes apparent that there are no long term side effects. 

I understand that, I still struggle to believe that there is enough knowledge of the long term effects. 

34 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Really? I didn't have you down as a refuser Neil! What side effects are you concerned about?

31 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The medical / biological technology for virus vaccines is well understood, and IMHO pretty safe.

If you are younger than I can understand the hesitancy, however, for us older folk the choice is easy ............ have a jab and not worry about the side effects, long term or otherwise, or catch the virus and maybe find yourself in hospital struggling for breath and suffering the other complications of blood clots etc ...............

For anybody over 60 the choice is a no brainer !

However, I fully understand that we live in a democratic society, and it is the individuals choice of jab or no jab ............. I am easy about it, as the 'jabbed' will exceed the 'no jab' by a massive majority.

48 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Really? I didn't have you down as a refuser Neil! What side effects are you concerned about?

Well, nothing in particular. If you didn’t already guess I’m very sceptical about anything government does, and I don’t mean just BoJo. In my eyes they are all the same, a bunch of pocket lining “I’m alright Jack” toss pots. Like most things in life money is in the forefront. I think that pharmaceutical companies have rushed the vaccines out without thorough long term testing in the pursuit of the biggest share of the prize pot. Having lived with a woman who has contracted COVID-19 twice in 10 months, it’s pretty clear to me that at the moment I’m pretty immune to it’s effects. Michaela was diagnosed in December with the Kent variant, I came down with some of the same symptoms a few days later but no where near like anything she had. If she was offered the vaccine tomorrow she would jump at it and I would 200% support her. But for me, I’d rather wait and see seeing as I have a relatively high tolerance of it 

47 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If you are younger than I can understand the hesitancy, however, for us older folk the choice is easy

Yes and I fully understand that sentiment and support it completely. My parent have had their first jab and I’m happy for them, if it makes them and all who have it feel safer then that’s definitely not a bad thing. 
Having a jab though doesn’t stop you contracting or spreading a virus (before I get jumped on for being hesitant) it just gives you a stronger chance of fighting it off. I seem to have a strong immune system ATM, so as I said above , I’ll wait and see!

That is not really good enough, as whist putting themselves at risk and associated NHS costs which would have to be covered by the state, it also would give the virus further opportunities to spread and mutate, putting the rest of us at risk. People who refuse vacination, unless on genuine health reasons should not be allowed to put the rest of us at unnecessary risk and should be required to remain in isolation. Geoff.

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

That is not really good enough, as whist putting themselves at risk and associated NHS costs which would have to be covered by the state, it also would give the virus further opportunities to spread and mutate, putting the rest of us at risk. People who refuse vacination, unless on genuine health reasons should not be allowed to put the rest of us at unnecessary risk and should be required to remain in isolation. Geoff.

Geoff, having a vaccine does not make you immune to catching and spreading the virus. Nor does it prevent a virus mutating. It could actually be argued that a vaccine is more likely to mutate to combat the vaccine that is designed to suppress it. 
All the vaccine does is bolster your immune system to give you a better chance of fighting it if you were unfortunate enough to contract it. 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Geoff, having a vaccine does not make you immune to catching and spreading the virus. Nor does it prevent a virus mutating. It could actually be argued that a vaccine is more likely to mutate to combat the vaccine that is designed to suppress it. 
All the vaccine does is bolster your immune system to give you a better chance of fighting it if you were unfortunate enough to contract it. 

Whilst this is true, it's only part of the story. A vaccinated person who encounters the virus will reduce the amount of virus they pass on (thanks to the vaccination) so over time the amount of virus in general circulation will get less and less.

For me, I'll be getting the vaccine as soon as I'm offered it - to protect me and my immediate family, plus it will allow me to hopefully visit my parents with a clear conscience, knowing I've done everything I can to keep them safe (they got their shots today).

Plus, it's my small way of acknowledging the risk that the early vaccine volunteers took in testing the vaccine. They took that risk for the greater good. It would be churlish of me to turn down the vaccine "just in case" after all they did for us. 👍

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Whilst this is true, it's only part of the story. A vaccinated person who encounters the virus will reduce the amount of virus they pass on (thanks to the vaccination) so over time the amount of virus in general circulation will get less and less.

For me, I'll be getting the vaccine as soon as I'm offered it - to protect me and my immediate family, plus it will allow me to hopefully visit my parents with a clear conscience, knowing I've done everything I can to keep them safe (they got their shots today).

Plus, it's my small way of acknowledging the risk that the early vaccine volunteers took in testing the vaccine. They took that risk for the greater good. It would be churlish of me to turn down the vaccine "just in case" after all they did for us. 👍

So I’m “churlish” because I feel the way I do? 
I think you niave to put so much trust in a profit grabbing company. But I’d never be churlish enough to tell you that! 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

So I’m “churlish” because I feel the way I do? 
I think you niave to put so much trust in a profit grabbing company. But I’d never be churlish enough to tell you that! 

Not at all. I was just describing how I feel about it. You're free to decide as you see fit 👍

It will no doubt transpire later that the main shareholders in the companies that are awarded the contracts for the vaccines are heavily connected to the people signing the orders. Just like how the PPE suppliers were found to be, at incredibly high prices. 

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

It will no doubt transpire later that the main shareholders in the companies that are awarded the contracts for the vaccines are heavily connected to the people signing the orders. Just like how the PPE suppliers were found to be, at incredibly high prices. 

Isn’t it always the way though. 

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well, nothing in particular. If you didn’t already guess I’m very sceptical about anything government does, and I don’t mean just BoJo. In my eyes they are all the same, a bunch of pocket lining “I’m alright Jack” toss pots. Like most things in life money is in the forefront. I think that pharmaceutical companies have rushed the vaccines out without thorough long term testing in the pursuit of the biggest share of the prize pot. Having lived with a woman who has contracted COVID-19 twice in 10 months, it’s pretty clear to me that at the moment I’m pretty immune to it’s effects. Michaela was diagnosed in December with the Kent variant, I came down with some of the same symptoms a few days later but no where near like anything she had. If she was offered the vaccine tomorrow she would jump at it and I would 200% support her. But for me, I’d rather wait and see seeing as I have a relatively high tolerance of it 

Your chances of living with somebody in the same household and not contracting the virus is pretty remote due to its high transmissibility and the fact that it can live on hard surfaces for days. It strikes me that you have probably had the virus, and you are completely asymptomatic, you probably didn't even know you had it.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Your chances of living with somebody in the same household and not contracting the virus is pretty remote due to its high transmissibility and the fact that it can live on hard surfaces for days. It strikes me that you have probably had the virus, and you are completely asymptomatic, you probably didn't even know you had it.

No I knew I had it, because I had the same symptoms but only around 25% strength to what my Mrs felt. Plus I never lost sense of taste and smell where she did. After 3 days I was fine, whereas she is one of those that suffers long Covid and is now going to be in a study programme. She is the only case that the doctors have heard of to catch two different variants in the same year. 
Let’s put it this way, I was ill but not unwell enough to stop me drinking my christmas stellas or eating all the food. 

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well, there speaks doctor fishy!!

Things such as TB and POlio were eradicated in this country through vaccinations..... If covid was eradicated in the UK, that would be the end of it, nothing to mutate, however..... While we have people who refuse to be vaccinated, then everyone else id at risk of mutations that are not covered by the current vaccines. You would think for a man who's wife who has been poorly twice already would be less inclined to want to bring something home that could kill her. Yet alone traipse through other peoples houses spreading it to them as well.... After all, it's as likely you gave it to your wife the last 2 times, and how many other peoples houses did you visit eh?

The typical f**k you, I'm alright attitude

5 hours ago, suzook12 said:

After all, it's as likely you gave it to your wife the last 2 times, and how many other peoples houses did you visit eh?

Steve, when I visit people’s houses I sanitise my hands before and after I enter EVERY property,plus I wear a face mask for the duration of every visit. And not just a flimsy cloth one either. 
My wife caught Covid from her place of work. She is (or was) a pre school teacher. The virus was running rife through there with kids and staff contracting. No masks are worn in pre schools, and it’s impossible to keep hands sanitised.the windows were always closed because the staff who were also kids really were too stupid to wear jumpers when cold so just closed the windows and turned the heating up. 
You have your view and I have mine, we don’t and can’t agree on everything but we can be adult and be civil to each other. Don’t melt on us.

When my turn comes around it will probably be more like Autumn/Winter, so there will be more evidence for me to look at and re consider. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Steve, when I visit people’s houses I sanitise my hands before and after I enter EVERY property,plus I wear a face mask for the duration of every visit. And not just a flimsy cloth one either. 
My wife caught Covid from her place of work. She is (or was) a pre school teacher. The virus was running rife through there with kids and staff contracting. No masks are worn in pre schools, and it’s impossible to keep hands sanitised.the windows were always closed because the staff who were also kids really were too stupid to wear jumpers when cold so just closed the windows and turned the heating up. 
You have your view and I have mine, we don’t and can’t agree on everything but we can be adult and be civil to each other. Don’t melt on us.

When my turn comes around it will probably be more like Autumn/Winter, so there will be more evidence for me to look at and re consider. 

So until then you are going to cease entering other peoples homes? Or at least notify them that you are not immunised and have been proven to be assymptomatic? After all, you have a responsibility to these people other that fixing their boiler.

You should have had yours already, you are a key worker!!

Time to do the responsible thing!

1 minute ago, suzook12 said:

So until then you are going to cease entering other peoples homes? Or at least notify them that you are not immunised and have been proven to be assymptomatic? After all, you have a responsibility to these people other that fixing their boiler.

You should have had yours already, you are a key worker!!

Time to do the responsible thing!

Well when I get an invite letter maybe I will consider further. But I’ve not had one so it’s all academic atm. 
like I said, I do my bit to protect my customers and so do they. I’m not gung-ho steve, I’m responsible, just not very trusting of fat cats.