Covid Vac

Geoff

I’m not a political person but as an engineer I do like to understand data. 

COVID deaths are deaths WITH COVID or earlier in the pandemic WITH COVID SYMPTOMS. The death is not as simple as attributing it to COVID so it’s quite difficult to compare death rates of countries. There is also the hidden impact of what else has been put on hold due to COVID and deaths related to that.

It could be that once you take all that data and look into it the U.K. looks better? Or it could be worse. 

The main thing is the vaccination program. I think it’s been excellent. It’s very easy to look back in hindsight at what could be done better, but it appears that the powers that be got on witb it. Even our own Welsh Goverment have picked up the pace after much criticism. 

I must award full marks to Israel, they have really made an impact. Here is hoping that the results from their trials reflect in our figures and we can get ourselves out of lockdown soon. Hopefully leaders else where can stop arguing and focus on working together to fix this awful thing and not using it to play their own domestic political agendas!!! 

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Just a small update ............

I am booked in to have my right eye cataract removed on the 20 Feb, the left eye will follow about 3 - 6 weeks later. 😎

Good luck.

I had both mine done in July, results are fantastic, no glasses now. 

2 minutes ago, MegaByte said:

Good luck.

I had both mine done in July, results are fantastic, no glasses now. 

Thanks, i have my fingers crossed that it all turns out Ok, all my life I was blessed with excellent vision. I didn't need glasses until my mid 50's

I have gone from 20/20 vision (with varifocals) to a point where I can't read a number plate at 20m and varifocals make no difference ...... all in 2 years.

My night vision is completely non existent, I fell over twice in the autumn going to the loo in the early hours 🤣  ........ walking into a door feck'in hurts !

The medics have blamed it on my Ulcerative Colitis (also 2 years) which has been caused by an over active immune system ....... apparently the two are linked

On 1/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, Geoff said:

The EU have backed down having made this particular wrong decision. They will however do everything possible to make our "seamless" trading with NI and the rest of the EU very disruptive. I have not heard of any serious problems affecting EU goods coming here. Anyway, that's enough from me or I shall have the PC brigade knocking on my door. 

• Yesterday was jab day for me (Boston), and Joyce was booked in today for her jab at Flitwick (south of Bedford - about 70 miles away). J came with me to Boston and I asked if it would be possible for her to get jabbed at Boston and to cancel the other. They said no problem, cancelled her Flitwick jabs, re booked her for Boston and for her second jab to coincide with mine also. So now we have both been stabbed and look forward (12 weeks) the the follow up. I must say the whole experience was very good, friendly staff and very well managed. We did not know if there would be lots of waiting about so we took sandwiches, fruit and a flask of coffee. This was not needed so we found a large empty offroad layby on the way home and ate our takeway lunch - I dare not call it a picnic!!! Geoff. 

I have joined your club Geoff, I was jabbed today. It was a good move of the Hospital putting me on the 'reserve' list. I shall feel a lot happier going to the hospital for the eye surgery in 2 weeks time, the AZ jab will have just about had time to kick in by then.

Well done Ian, I look forward to hearing how well your eye op went in a couple of weeks time. After your op is there a time limit (4-6 weeks) before you are officially allowed to drive. I would imagine that it takes a little while for post op healing. We both had the AZ jab, and had absolutely no noticeable side effects. I hope yours will be the same. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

fter your op is there a time limit (4-6 weeks) before you are officially allowed to drive. I would imagine that it takes a little while for post op

When I enquired during the pre op process, they told me driving was allowed after 48 hours, provided that you can read a registration number at 20m (the legal requirement). However, long distance driving should be avoided for 6 weeks.

Also, I will not be allowed to lift anything heavy for 28 days, which is the healing period, apparently some folk heal in a couple of weeks, and others take longer.

Experience from previous injuries, tells me I am a relatively quick healer !

Like you, I have had no side effects from the Jab ..........

Edited by GPSguru

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I am also on our local reserve list, was hoping to get the call today with the snow maybe stopping people getting in

You might get it quicker than you expect Steve, as there are some fussy folk that are turning down AZ jabs, and want the  Pfizer Vac. However, the Vac centres do not know in advance what Vac they have coming in, so that is actually a very bad strategy as these people could be waiting months for a Jab.

My take on it ........ anything is a 1000% better than nothing !

Also, I reckon, just like the flu Vac, there will be boosters every year and that will take into account any mutations.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, GPSguru said:

I am booked in to have my right eye cataract removed on the 20 Feb, the left eye will follow about 3 - 6 weeks later. 😎

wishing you well mate i hope all gose well.

when you see it on the news ect, peopple having partys. weding receptions 40 or more ect it whont be there falt that peopol will die and be very ill , no it will be some one els, my land lady has had here jab ,but she is at risk.

Good luck with your eye ops as well Pete. They do seem to be very good nowadays with these ops. I am still dreading the day that they decide mine are "ripe" enough to operate, but iam not quite so scared as I was a couple of years ago. Geoff.

8 hours ago, MegaByte said:

It's a bit strange, being aware of it. They put drops in to stop you blinking and make it blurred. The eyelid was tapped to keep it open. You lay there and stare at a light. Didn't really feel anything, took about 45 minutes. Went back 3 weeks later to have the other one done. Mine were done through BUPA as I paid in while I worked. I also paid extra to have the better lenses.

Unfortunately, my BUPA membership finished when I retired at 57, as it was too complex to shift it to a private membership without a massive price hike.

I am guessing Brian, that you have multifocal lenses fitted (like varifocal glasses, but better). When I had my assessment the optician was Chilean, and I think he was quite impressed when I spoke to him in Latino Spanish, which I speak fluently, in fact, we conducted most of the session speaking in his native language ! After some consultation about my lifestyle, he told me that my eyes are very round and have little, or no, astigmatism, therefore he felt that standard lenses would work better for me and I might just need some reading glasses for 'closeup' work.

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Unfortunately, my BUPA membership finished when I retired at 57, as it was too complex to shift it to a private membership without a massive price hike.

I am guessing Brian, that you have multifocal lenses fitted (like varifocal glasses, but better). When I had my assessment the optician was Chilean, and I think he was quite impressed when I spoke to him in Latino Spanish, which I speak fluently, in fact, we conducted most of the session speaking in his native language ! After some consultation about my lifestyle, he told me that my eyes are very round and have little, or no, astigmatism, therefore he felt that standard lenses would work better for me and I might just need some reading glasses for 'closeup' work.

Did you have a flamenco dance off with him? 

17 hours ago, GPSguru said:

There’s some story behind this 🙂 sounds like an interesting background 

On 2/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, GPSguru said:

A slight change, apparently due to an admin error, my appointment for surgery is now the 6th March, only a couple of weeks delay, but it gives the Vaccine chance to fully work. I was told that date in now fixed in concrete .............

Just read this article about whether the government should include vaccine refusers in their calculations on when and whether to lift restrictions. I'm inclined to agree with Mark Harper... "if you don't get vaccinated the consequences are on you."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56043196