Conger PB

Tony smith

51 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Excellent fish. Well done.

I dislike conger, but I know that I will never beat my PB of 92lb, so I don’t bother them too much these days.

How can you dislike conger Ian? The only fish in the sea that can swim backwards and put up a proper fight. Especially the biggies. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

How can you dislike conger Ian? The only fish in the sea that can swim backwards and put up a proper fight. Especially the biggies. 

Swimming backwards is cheating !

Also once on deck they are unpredictable and snap at anything within range ! 
Big slimy turds !

14 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Swimming backwards is cheating !

Also once on deck they are unpredictable and snap at anything within range ! 
Big slimy turds !

Yes but great fun. Well, on a proper boat. I can see why on an inflatable dingy they’d be trouble. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes but great fun. Well, on a proper boat. I can see why on an inflatable dingy they’d be trouble. 

They are trouble on ANY boat !

you need to mind your feet and ankles, I have seen some nasty bites in the past. 

Edited by GPSguru

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

you need to mind you feet ankles, I have seen some nasty bites in the past. 

I used to wear steel toe capped boots. A 20lb west through my wellies wouldn’t let go.... 

My pb 34lb tried the same but didn’t work! We don’t get them big in the Bristol Channel but slimy turd monsters get t barred off at the side. If crew want a pic, their cleaning the boat afterwards!

31 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

you need to mind your feet and ankles, I have seen some nasty bites in the past. 

I’m not talking about the precautions you have to take with them. I’m talking about the sport of the fight they give. What’s not like?

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

You are of questionable mental health though considering you also think Dogfish are good to catch. 

You need to re-read my posts Jon. 🤓

I never said they were good to catch, rather that they are welcome as a blank beater and that I have a soft spot for them.

Sport fish they are not, but I still appreciate them.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

I never said they were good to catch, rather that they are welcome as a blank beater and that I have a soft spot for them.

I don’t get the snobbery (not you personally). Why do they not fall into the category of a sport fish. They fight harder and longer than most species we catch here in the UK (shark aside, before the welsh start up). Even the sun 10lb straps in the middle solent fight better than a 10lb cod ! 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I don’t get the snobbery (not you personally). Why do they not fall into the category of a sport fish. They fight harder and longer than most species we catch here in the UK (shark aside, before the welsh start up). Even the sun 10lb straps in the middle solent fight better than a 10lb cod ! 

I was talking about dogfish, not eels. Dogs aren't sport fish but congers most definitely are in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I think you’ve described it right there, snobbery. A fairly routine 30lb eel is bigger and harder fighting than most ( not all) non palagic species but they are well out of fashion so not held in high regard. 

12 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I honestly would be as happy not catching dogfish as blanking. They are pointless. 

17 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No snobbery, they are just nasty slimy turds.

I also live in a big conger area. The uk record came from the Rota which I fish quite often (Vic Evans RIP).

My 92lb fish came from rough ground off of Exmouth.

1 hour ago, Tony smith said:

GPSGuru did you post the picture of your 92lb Conger like to see it mate👍

I caught it in 2008, and yes I did have a photo at the time, however, I guess it has touched a bit of a raw nerve...............

In 2012 I formatted the wrong hard disc after a PC rebuild 😢 and completely lost all my pictures and videos, including those from when we lived in Oz, our holidays in the Rockies, USA, Chile, Cost Rica, Caribbean, Reunion, Maldives, Seychelles, Azores, Madeira, Cape Verde, Europe etc, ............. to say I was unpopular would be putting it mildly !

I honestly believed that they were backed up to DVD's, but sadly that didn't seem to be the case, however, even after all this time I keep looking if I find an old DVD

Back then, my PC had 4TB on 4 drives and I used to disconnect everything except the system drive when doing upgrades, but for some reason I disconnected the wrong drive and never checked before formatting, I can remember it like yesterday.

Now, all my drives are SSD (6TB) all my photos and business records are backed up onto the cloud.