who fishes alone on their boat?

I'm new to boat owning, and been out a few times with a friend, but he cant make tomorrow morning and im keen to make the most of the good weather, and build some experience so thinking about going out alone, maybe just drifting weymouth bay for mackerel, but will anchor up if I'm feeling comfortable. 

I have to take the plunge and go alone sometime, what are peoples thoughts? recommendations advice etc?

1 minute ago, mike farrants said:

I'm new to boat owning, and been out a few times with a friend, but he cant make tomorrow morning and im keen to make the most of the good weather, and build some experience so thinking about going out alone, maybe just drifting weymouth bay for mackerel, but will anchor up if I'm feeling comfortable. 

I have to take the plunge and go alone sometime, what are peoples thoughts? recommendations advice etc?

There’s nothing to it Mike. Does your mate help with the boat much when he’s out with you? Or is he just company and back up? I take my 9 year old lad out all the time, he great to have around and can pilot the boat home fully supervised. But, if I needed any help he would be almost useless. 
So it’s kind of the same thing as going solo. I do go out alone too, and do you know what, it’s actually really enjoyable. Once you’ve done it, you will wonder what you were worried about. Of course, always respect the sea and be cautious. 

I'd say go for it. It will build your confidence hugely and enable you to use your boat more often, rather than having to ring round for a deckhand, or risk being let down on the day by a no-show.

I used to beach launch and recover single-handedly, now that's a faff and a half! The solo sessions themselves were fine - nice to have a bit of peace and quiet but... I also found that fishing wasn't quite as enjoyable solo. For example, it's good to have someone else on board to share the moment with when a fine (dog)fish comes over the gunnel.

oh i'll be sending pics of the dogfish - more so if i'm alone - no shame then!

yes I think I need to go for it - i'm out of a marina, so easy off and return, its a nice stable boat and good forecast and if i don't like it or get spooked i'm just giving her a run out right!

I will wear a life jacket all day, do my radio check, and of course stay well away form the foredeck.  

my only concern is we have had 2x anchor related issues - both resulted in us hand hauling the anchor up - something i couldn't have done alone - i have since replaced the anchor and chain as it was too heavy -

old anchor was 11kg with 20kg of chain 

New anchor 6kg with 11kg chain & 150m nylon rode

so new anchor shouldn't be an issue to either lift with an A2 buoy or even if i did have to hand haul right?

When hand hauling, did you motor up slowly and recover the slack as you went until you hauled the last bit vertically? Or did you try to pull the boat uptide by hand when taking in the slack??

New set up sounds more reasonable to hand haul vertically for sure, especially with a buoy to help.

yeah it was vertically - 1st time we had already hauled the rope in and the chain slipped back through the alderney ring as the chain was knotted or too heavy, 2nd time was with the bucket handle as a makeshift alderney ring. 

to be honest I dont think poor pugwash had the guts to pull 30kg through the ring! either that or my mate is bad luck (he was wearing green both times)

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

There’s nothing to it Mike. Does your mate help with the boat much when he’s out with you? Or is he just company and back up? I take my 9 year old lad out all the time, he great to have around and can pilot the boat home fully supervised. But, if I needed any help he would be almost useless. 
So it’s kind of the same thing as going solo.

Poor Leo!!To say such a thing about the 1st mate and chief fish catcher!!! Shame on you!! 🤣

47 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Poor Leo!!To say such a thing about the 1st mate and chief fish catcher!!! Shame on you!! 🤣

I’m not mean, he’s great. But if I fell over board he’d be useless. Especially if we were at anchor. 

6 hours ago, mike farrants said:

Yes, I often go out alone, especially during the winter.  So, that is launch and recover a 5.85m (19ft) RIB on my own. You will find anything is possible if you plan ahead !

With a RIB I have to handball the anchor every time as the Alderney method brings the rope across the tubes which I try and avoid, but I only use a 3.5kg Bruce and 12mm warp, so it is childs play.

I fish on my own more often than not, you just learn to do things in a way that you can manage yourself. 
Anchor retrieval is the biggest thing, I have a windlass so most of it is done from inside the shed. 
Landing in my berth is usually smooth enough, I keep plenty of fender on my bow so if I get too close to my neighbour I just bump off, his boat has a nasty metal band around where the rubbing strake would go with little fender rings poking out as well. I’ve never had a proper collision so it’s been ok so far. 

I enjoy being further offshore alone, something feels so good about being out of sight of land and no other people anywhere to be seen. However its now not something I do very often as my daughter always has a heap of fish in the fridge or freezer, so it seems pointless heading out there. 

I rarely anchor (water is to deep!!!) but the whole towing and launching the boat alone at very busy ramps is never a relaxed time. Then reversing up a steep drive and squeezing the boat down the side of the house is also off putting.

7 hours ago, Jed Stone said:

i often take my 28ft out on my own, sometime struggle to get her back in between other boats back on to my berth but pull her in using ropes.

Jed Stone, that looks like a pain to do alone, it would put me off heading out.

7 hours ago, Jed Stone said:

maz2.jpg

Happily fish on my own. Most winter session would be on my own in the dark. 

Im confidant as a skipper to take my boat 50 miles offshore alone as crew just there for the ride/snooze 😅😅😅😅

When locking in it’s easier by myself as I know what will happen. No “have you tied that rope on or not” If I’ve done it I know it’s done.... 

it’s all about cofidenxe, you’ll soon get used to it 🙂 

Saturday had a very successful first trip out - just drifted the entrances to portland harbour feathering for mackerel for a few hours - got myself familiarised with the boat a bit more - no fish - but it wasnt really about that!

sunday i went out on a mates boat - a few doggies for me but he had dogs, eels, whiting and a lovely gilt head and a slightly smaller black bream - he doesn teat fish - iso i still went away happy.......  

This thread came along at the right time,  I've seriously been toying with going solo.  My usual mate does every other week on call.  So far this year since February every weekend he is off call its blown up,  this coming weekend a casing example. 

I've not had the confidence to go solo but surprised by the amount of people I see out there doing it. 

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and do it.  My main worry is coming back into a packed marina and having to berth on the nightmare spot

3 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and do it.  My main worry is coming back into a packed marina and having to berth on the nightmare spot

You're not the only one Scott! I'm not exactly leaping at the prospect of a solo berthing exercise in the last available space either 😬

However the good thing about our drystack is that if all else fails I can just put her alongside the recovery pontoon and let the drystack team sort her out. I have done this in the past and Ali was fine about it. Just means no time to wash down alongside but I can live with that.

Reckon I might have an afternoon's solo berthing practice just to build experience.

10 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

This thread came along at the right time,  I've seriously been toying with going solo.  My usual mate does every other week on call.  So far this year since February every weekend he is off call its blown up,  this coming weekend a casing example. 

I've not had the confidence to go solo but surprised by the amount of people I see out there doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

You're not the only one Scott! I'm not exactly leaping at the prospect of a solo berthing exercise in the last available space either 😬

However the good thing about our drystack is that if all else fails I can just put her alongside the recovery pontoon and let the drystack team sort her out. I have done this in the past and Ali was fine about it. Just means no time to wash down alongside but I can live with that.

Reckon I might have an afternoon's solo berthing practice just to build experience.

Listen guy's, it really isn't an issue, you just need to plan ahead based on experience.

As an example, when I come back in on a neap tide I don't bother too much about preparedness as there is plenty of time, however, when I come back in on a big spring tide, I stop just before the estuary and get my waders on, lay out the bow rope, hang the extension rope off the bow cleat, place the boat hook in the helm seat rod holder, etc ................ forward prepare for the worst scenario, and it will be fine and seem easy.

@Scotch_Egg2012and @Andy135
Practice makes perfect. But at the end of the day, if you cannot manoeuvre safely into the last spot, all you have to do is make sure your fenders are out and then come along side the boat in front or behind the space. Then just pull your boat into the space using your morning lines. Neither of you have boats too large that it’s not easily doable. 
Obviously this is a last resort. But gets you back in without scraping other people’s pride and joys. 

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Scotch_Egg2012and @Andy135
Practice makes perfect. But at the end of the day, if you cannot manoeuvre safely into the last spot, all you have to do is make sure your fenders are out and then come along side the boat in front or behind the space. Then just pull your boat into the space using your morning lines. Neither of you have boats too large that it’s not easily doable. 
Obviously this is a last resort. But gets you back in without scraping other people’s pride and joys. 

The crazy thing is when I occasionally take the wife out I virtually do it solo as she's not that much help coming alongside

10 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

The crazy thing is when I occasionally take the wife out I virtually do it solo as she's not that much help coming alongside

Yes, same here. My Mrs is getting better, but still not that useful. So, if you can do it under the scrutiny of SWMBO you can do it alone easier!

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Parking an outboard driven boat should be easy, just go and practice on a empty finger somewhere. It’s easier into an open berth, the old phrase steer before gear is good to remember 

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

Parking an outboard driven boat should be easy, just go and practice on a empty finger somewhere. It’s easier into an open berth, the old phrase steer before gear is good to remember 

That and you’re in and out of gear a lot. Slow is pro, a boat hook handy and you’re away :)!