who fishes alone on their boat?

@Scotch_Egg2012 @Andy135 remember with an outboard that the flywheel effect of the prop is your best friend.

Doing the following you can turn the boat in its own length .......... however, always make allowance for wind and tide

Use the wind to your advantage whenever possible ........ in my situation I can have up to a 6knt tide flowing, so the wind is a minor consideration !

As @Odysseyhas said, slow is pro, and the slower, the better job you will make of it.

Engine to full Port, a small burst of forward will swing the bow to port and the stern to starboard.

Engine to full Port, a small burst of reverse will swing the bow to starboard and the stern to port.

The opposite is true when the engine is turned full to Starboard.

On a twin engine boat I usually use just one engine (port) and tilt the other.

Edited by GPSguru

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

@Scotch_Egg2012 @Andy135 remember with an outboard that the flywheel effect of the prop is your best friend.

Doing the following you can turn the boat in its own length .......... however, always make allowance for wind and tide

Use the wind to your advantage whenever possible ........ in my situation I can have up to a 6knt tide flowing, so the wind is a minor consideration !

As @Odysseyhas said, slow in pro, and the slower, the better job you will make of it.

Engine to full Port, a small burst of forward will swing the bow to port and the stern to starboard.

Engine to full Port, a small burst of reverse will swing the bow to starboard and the stern to port.

The opposite is true when the engine is turned full to Starboard.

On a twin engine boat I usually use just one engine (port) and tilt the other.

Exactly that! 

I have shallow draft and I’m 30ft long but I’ve got a bow thruster. I can park it alongside without a bow thruster single handed but there is something satisfying when you head out of cabin to tie your lines on and you’re down to 1 inch clearance 😉 

Slow is key, if you’re going wrong a quick sharp bit of throttle will stop you in your tracks, but only for a second! 

You’ll find it easier if you mark your wheel so you always know what position mid-ships is. 

Practice is key but if you’re going as slow as you can and plenty of fenders you’ll be fine 🙂 

My mate and I took our boats out in the first lockdown went out to our Conger Mark 14 miles out. 
we took two boats because we wasn’t allowed together because on Covid 

we anchored up an our 1/2 miles apart 

he got his prop around an old crab pot 

cut a long story short his boat sunk within 5mins 

there I was on my own picking up a mate 

in the sea he lost everything 

if we hadn’t taken two boats not worth thinking about. 
he fishes with me now he is just going to buy a new boat in a few weeks 
it was a bit frightening.

But good job we took two boats 

It's good to get out on your own 👍

44 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Wow! Tony, that's not good. Was he ok??

It's amazing how quickly a wrapped prop can sink a boat if there's even a little bit of tide to pull the stern under. Frightening prospect for any boat angler.

Going back to the shaft vs outboard discussion that may have been touched on I always thought that fouling was a lesser threat for outboards as they are easier to reach, but I guess they would be more prone to swamping as the weigh of the engine is that much further back. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Going back to the shaft vs outboard discussion that may have been touched on I always thought that fouling was a lesser threat for outboards as they are easier to reach, but I guess they would be more prone to swamping as the weigh of the engine is that much further back. 

Also a shaft should have a decent rope cutter fitted to make short work of a pot line.

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Also a shaft should have a decent rope cutter fitted to make short work of a pot line.

I think a lot of people are over estimating the effectiveness of a rope cutter 

19 minutes ago, JonC said:

That's the theory, but as you say, the weight is further back. I think the advantage is that you can clear a line wrapped round your outboard prop without getting yourself wet, just by tilting the engine up and out of the water, but the practical reality is that you'd have to act within a very, very short space of time to avoid disaster.

Yes he was fine 

But as the boat sunk the bridge tilted over and caught his trousers.

They ripped from top to bottom.

I saw the boat go down and he went with it 

Luckily his auto life jacket went off and pulled him up 😬 ripping his trousers 

It was a bit frightening how fast it all happened 

I was thinking off running my boat over the line and let my rope cutter do it's job but you don't want to get in trouble yourself.

It all worked out fine in the end.👍

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's the theory, but as you say, the weight is further back. I think the advantage is that you can clear a line wrapped round your outboard prop without getting yourself wet, just by tilting the engine up and out of the water, but the practical reality is that you'd have to act within a very, very short space of time to avoid disaster.

If your outboard was fouled on a fixed rope would the tilt have the power to raise itself against a strong tide?

4 minutes ago, Tony smith said:

Yes it would JonC but it's pulling you under with the pressure.

He should of stripped off dived in and cut the rope 

I was along side him to pick him up 

But it all happened do fast 

He probably didn’t want to strip off in front of you in case you filmed him 🤣

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

What goes through your mind to even consider that as a possibility?? 🤷‍♂️

The age we live in , people tend to film things rather than intervening, then WhatsApp it around. 

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

If your outboard was fouled on a fixed rope would the tilt have the power to raise itself against a strong tide?

Yes, on most outboards the hydraulics are plenty power full enough to just get the prop out of the water.

You need to act fast as anchored from the stern will sink a boat very quickly. 

I keep a sharp serrated knife mounted on the transom 😉