Garmin Navionics Vision+

9 hours ago, GPSguru said:

If you now go to 'download charts (3 boxes inside the circle, and halfway down the menu) you are no longer presented with the 'tiles grid map', instead there is a box that you can select what area of the chart to download.

I need to know from Garmin how that relates to the original tiles.

I was told you have to upload them all again on both the Active captain and the Garmin head unit. Certainly a pain.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

You download onto the phone, then connect phone to head unit and transfer the data ! 

Ok, I have had a meaningful conversation with tech support at Southampton, and confirmed my suspicions.

If you have the vision + chart card, you cant just plug it in, because although the basic chart will work, a lot of the other stuff like birds eye view, relief shading, and guidance will not work.

The only way all the functionality can be achieved is to load the area of interest via active captain. Yes, Garmin have changed the ‘tiles’ in favour of a ‘selected area’. Both myself and the support guy preferred the tile system.

Neil, you will need to register your chart via active captain, or Garmin express, then upload the area of interest to your active captain sd card in the plotter. The tech guy said it is best if you ring them as you may need to delete a file on the Garmin card to make life easier.

TBH daily updates on the vision + will be a PITA as you will need to reload the selected area on each update !

However, stuff doesn't change that much so I would only do it every 6  months or so.

Hope that helps ….

Edited by GPSguru

13 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Ok, I have had a meaningful conversation with tech support at Southampton, and confirmed my suspicions.

If you have the vision + chart card, you cant just plug it in, because although the basic chart will work, a lot of the other stuff like birds eye view, relief shading, and guidance will not work.

The only way all the functionality can be achieved is to load the area of interest via active captain. Yes, Garmin have changed the ‘tiles’ in favour of a ‘selected area’. Both myself and the support guy preferred the tile system.

Neil, you will need to register your chart via active captain, or Garmin express, then upload the area of interest to your active captain sd card in the plotter. The tech guy said it is best if you ring them as you may need to delete a file on the Garmin card to make life easier. 

TBH daily updates on the vision + will be a PITA as you will need to reload the selected area on each update !

However, stuff doesn't change that much so I would only do it every 6  months or so.

Hope that helps ….

Thanks Ian, it does. Last night I managed to down load 4.14gb of data from 4 squares stretching along the south coast and Channel Islands. This I will take to the boat and transfer to the plotter but will ring Garmin support before I do it! 
I love the simplicity of the Garmin instruction sheet that accompanies the card. Shame the reality is a polar opposite 🤣

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Ian, it does. Last night I managed to down load 4.14gb of data from 4 squares stretching along the south coast and Channel Islands. This I will take to the boat and transfer to the plotter but will ring Garmin support before I do it! 
I love the simplicity of the Garmin instruction sheet that accompanies the card. Shame the reality is a polar opposite 🤣

If you need to call them …… +44 23 8052 4000

15 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

What’s a shame is that the installation team is so slow. My transducer is still sitting in the box 

28 minutes ago, JonC said:

What’s a shame is that the installation team is so slow. My transducer is still sitting in the box 

Wot, you forgotten how to use a screwdriver, or is that beyond the intelligence of essex clowns 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

35 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Wot, you forgotten how to use a screwdriver, or is that beyond the intelligence of essex clowns 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My impact driver isn’t waterproof and the sealant doesn’t cure so well submerged. 

So I spent an hour and a half today sat on my boat tidying up shit that didn't need tidying, whilst the charts transferred. Got to 98% and got an error message saying I had insufficient space on the active captain card !!!! 
FFS I'd just got off the phone to Garmin and nobody mentioned a potential lack of storage! 😩🤬

43 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So I spent an hour and a half today sat on my boat tidying up shit that didn't need tidying, whilst the charts transferred. Got to 98% and got an error message saying I had insufficient space on the active captain card !!!! 
FFS I'd just got off the phone to Garmin and nobody mentioned a potential lack of storage! 😩🤬

We all said about storage. 
At least yor boat is nice and tidy. 👍

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

We all said about storage. 
At least yor boat is nice and tidy. 👍

Yeah, but what I don't get is this....

You get a 32gb card. The file transfer is approx 5gb. 
So how the hell can I be out of storage?

What am I not understanding here?

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Maybe you need another floppy disc thing? 

49 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If it has been there a while, it may well have stored software updates and other stuff. Format it on a PC and then put it back in and recreate an active captain card.

Edited by GPSguru