Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

Seeing as I'm not yet allowed down to the boat I have to live vicariously through you lot to scratch my fishy itch. So who's on the water this weekend? Where are you headed and what are you aiming for? There will be a prize for the Outlaw who catches the biggest dogfish - photos on this thread please.

Although my boat is back on the water and I can walk to its berth I will be concentrating on finishing off little jobs inside the boat so, no fishing for me this weekend but thereafter I'll be out there lol

25 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Although my boat is back on the water and I can walk to its berth I will be concentrating on finishing off little jobs inside the boat so, no fishing for me this weekend but thereafter I'll be out there lol

As excuses for blanking go Martin, that's one of the most creative... 🤔

"Sorry lads, I can't come fishing this weekend, I've got to polish my rod holders" 🤣

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Seeing as I'm not yet allowed down to the boat I have to live vicariously through you lot to scratch my fishy itch. So who's on the water this weekend? Where are you headed and what are you aiming for? There will be a prize for the Outlaw who catches the biggest dogfish - photos on this thread please.

I'll be back on the Tamar first thing tomorrow (Sat) in search of another lure-caught 'mackerel', you know those ones with the spiky fins. The river is a bass nursery area and you are not supposed to target bass from a boat, even if you fish barbless and put them all back like I do. It's all right for Henry Gilbey to fish for them from the shore though - and keep a couple of in-size ones if he wants to. You'll never find a dead bass on my boat.

It's a crazy old world. Strangely enough, I do occasionally catch real mackerel from the river on my hard plastic bass lures. One day I was having a cup of tea with the lure dangling over the side just touching the surface when a mackerel zoomed up, grabbed it and dived, neatly hooking itself. I don't know who was more surprised. That went back too. PH

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

As excuses for blanking go Martin, that's one of the most creative... 🤔

"Sorry lads, I can't come fishing this weekend, I've got to polish my rod holders" 🤣

I'm not polishing, paying some guys who have not quite finished their part of the work, the only blank will be the look on my face come Sunday if they haven't finished lol

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I'm not polishing, paying some guys who have not quite finished their part of the work, the only blank will be the look on my face come Sunday if they haven't finished lol

Are you going to go full school teacher mode on them? 

8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

If the weather holds, then Kyle and myself will be heading out to the wrecks. Currently, looking at the 25 mile wrecks, but the weather forecast keeps on changing, so I will keep it under review

Earlier this evening I checked the slow jigs on the boat and now know why my tackle box is so heavy ....... is 72 jigs enough for one trip ? 🤣

There was also probably 30 packs of Red Gills ready for Kyle, but somehow I think he will be using 6/0 red Gummi makks baited with a full fillet of mack or a whole quid, as that is more his style of fishing .....

13 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If the weather holds, then Kyle and myself will be heading out to the wrecks. Currently, looking at the 25 mile wrecks, but the weather forecast keeps on changing, so I will keep it under review

Earlier this evening I checked the slow jigs on the boat and now know why my tackle box is so heavy ....... is 72 jigs enough for one trip ? 🤣

There was also probably 30 packs of Red Gills ready for Kyle, but somehow I think he will be using 6/0 red Gummi makks baited with a full fillet of mack or a whole quid, as that is more his style of fishing .....

Well, keep us posted. Reports and pics most welcome! 👍

Just now, Andy135 said:

Well, keep us posted. Reports and pics most welcome! 👍

If I had your mobile number, I would send you a MMS everytime I get a fish .............. 🤣🤣🤣

Perhaps I shouldn't laugh too much, tomorrow is boat checking day as it hasn't moved for 3 months ...........

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If I had your mobile number, I would send you a MMS everytime I get a fish .............. 🤣🤣🤣

Perhaps I shouldn't laugh too much, tomorrow is boat checking day as it hasn't moved for 3 months ...........

Just PM'd it to you. All updates most welcome as I have ants in my pants about missing the salt. Catch reports help to sooth the itch! 🤣

12 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Just PM'd it to you. All updates most welcome as I have ants in my pants about missing the salt. Catch reports help to sooth the itch! 🤣

Thanks, have just replied.

BTW, 72 jigs probably weigh about 12 -14kg, which is more than the leads that I carry !

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

It sounds like you really are over your first op now Ian. I hope that you do both manage to get out and and enjoy yourselves. Geoff. ☺️

22 hours ago, Plaicehunter said:

I'll be back on the Tamar first thing tomorrow (Sat) in search of another lure-caught 'mackerel', you know those ones with the spiky fins. The river is a bass nursery area and you are not supposed to target bass from a boat, even if you fish barbless and put them all back like I do. It's all right for Henry Gilbey to fish for them from the shore though - and keep a couple of in-size ones if he wants to. You'll never find a dead bass on my boat.

It's a crazy old world. Strangely enough, I do occasionally catch real mackerel from the river on my hard plastic bass lures. One day I was having a cup of tea with the lure dangling over the side just touching the surface when a mackerel zoomed up, grabbed it and dived, neatly hooking itself. I don't know who was more surprised. That went back too. PH

Postscript: I blanked today, but only because the decent bass I hooked fell off before I could net it. I didn't see the fish as it stayed deep, but it felt heavy. It took a Maria Slice vibration bait and was my only take of a four-hour session. I accept some losses due to fishing barbless, but this one hurt! PH