More boat woes

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Are the tubes fitted as standard at the factory or is it a retro fit? 

That damage looks to be too far away from the BT to be associated with it.

I have fitted one before and in reality you bore a big hole and glass the tube into place from both sides and it ends up stronger than the hull itself.

I am thinking that is an old collision injury that has come back to haunt  due to a poor fix..............

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That damage looks to be too far away from the BT to be associated with it.

I have fitted one before and in reality you bore a big hole and glass the tube into place from both sides and it ends up stronger than the hull itself.

I am thinking that is an old collision injury that has come back to haunt  due to a poor fix..............

I hope you’re not suggesting Fisty has ram raided someone and not told us ? I’m sure he would come clean - it’s not like we would pass judgment or anything. 

18 minutes ago, JonC said:

I hope you’re not suggesting Fisty has ram raided someone and not told us ? I’m sure he would come clean - it’s not like we would pass judgment or anything. 

No, not in the slightest ............. only a pr1ck like you would do that to my good friend ...........🙄🤣🤣

I am suggesting it is an old injury that has come back to haunt ...........

Edited by GPSguru

I think my good mate @GPSguru is probably Bob on. There is spider grazing on the port side of the super structure. I’ve known about this since purchase. It’s nothing severe just a bit of cosmetic damage. It’s quite possible that the crack on the tube happened then and wasn’t repaired very well. And when I say crack I’m mean it is a hair line crack not a gapping hole. And it’s only about 2cm in length. But over time and pressure the water has entered. 

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I think my good mate @GPSguru is probably Bob on. There is spider grazing on the port side of the super structure. I’ve known about this since purchase. It’s nothing severe just a bit of cosmetic damage. It’s quite possible that the crack on the tube happened then and wasn’t repaired very well. And when I say crack I’m mean it is a hair line crack not a gapping hole. And it’s only about 2cm in length. But over time and pressure the water has entered. 

I guess with both repairs being below the water line on a moored boat then you are going to need a very professional repair to have some peace of mind. Repair 'availability' might also be a factor from those that are most able to do a good job ?

I am not convinced about hotter weather 'drying' the area, our weather in the UK is way too  unreliable for that scenario.

Edited by GPSguru

Neil, I am sure that you are aware that this damage needs a full investigation as to its extent. Was the FG layup damaged and the repairer just filled a couple of cracks with filler? It is obviously no good just cleaning it up and re covering the damage with filler. I think that the gelcoat needs removing over an area around the problems to try to ascertain exactly what the problem is. Even if the laminations are damaged it is not the end of the world and need not really be too expensive to fix. It is a pity that you are not a bit closer to Bourne as I am sure repair would be less than the transport costs. Good luck and I hope it is not too bad, but  you must find out the full extent of any damage. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Neil, I am sure that you are aware that this damage needs a full investigation as to its extent. Are the FG layup damaged and the repairer just filled a couple of cracks with filler it is obviously no good just cleaning it up and re covering the damage with filler. I think that the gelcoat needs removing over an area around the problems to try to ascertain exactly what the problem is. Even if the laminations are damaged it is not the end of the world and need not really be too expensive to fix. It is a pity that you are not a bit closer to Bourne as I am sure repair would be less than the transport costs. Good luck and I hope it is not too bad, but  you must find out the full extent of any damage. Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, in the next day or two the Grp is going to be ground back to investigate the extent of the damage. I did have a nice chat this morning from a company called osmatec in Hamble. The owner who has many many years of bow thruster tunnel installation and repairs recons that it not going to be a 5-6 month dry time. He reckons with an inta red heater on it a day a week then around a month to sort out. Fingers crossed. He also said that putting her inside isn’t worth the cost because the storage would cost more than the repair itself. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Geoff, in the next day or two the Grp is going to be ground back to investigate the extent of the damage. I did have a nice chat this morning from a company called osmatec in Hamble. The owner who has many many years of bow thruster tunnel installation and repairs recons that it not going to be a 5-6 month dry time. He reckons with an inta red heater on it a day a week then around a month to sort out. Fingers crossed. He also said that putting her inside isn’t worth the cost because the storage would cost more than the repair itself. 

Sounds more sensible.....

Leaving the sun to dry it out perhaps not the most reliable 😬

😬  i feal for you,  that is bad news,  glad you discoverd it nkow i soppose you will be checking the hull all over know.

when the lock down is over (so i can travile) I will gladly give you a hand .

29 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

😬  i feal for you,  that is bad news,  glad you discoverd it nkow i soppose you will be checking the hull all over know.

when the lock down is over (so i can travile) I will gladly give you a hand .

Thanks Pete, you may live to regret that offer 🤣

Neil, IR heating is one thing for drying out, but it will need to be inside or a damn site warmer before any glass work can be done otherwise you will be back to where you started in a very short time. Sure Geoff is more up on glassing temps. Even if its only building a tent over it will help keep temp up a couple or three degrees.

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If I put a tarp over the bow of the boat once it’s ground out and use an infrared heater, will something like this do the job?  

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-370spc-swivel-head-infa-red-heater-230v/

You still need a bit of air flow. Be careful or tarps flapping on your gel coat they can damage it. Get a scaffold tin roof put over it for a couple of months. Properly sheeted up it will be 100% waterproof with working space inside. 

Some good news on this today ...

Hello Neil

I stopped by your boat today and opened up the two areas in question.

The bow thruster tube has been repaired with a epoxy filler however one side or the repair had separated allowing water to pass through. The laminate looks dry and clean.

The patch on the keel reveled 3 broken stainless screws antifouled or gel coated over.
 These had also opened up allowing water to pass through. The laminate looks dry.

Both areas will dry within time for next month launch, I recommend grinding the screws down below the laminate followed by a fiberglass patch and gel coated over, primer the antifouling. 

Thanks lewis

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Some good news on this today ...

Hello Neil

I stopped by your boat today and opened up the two areas in question.

The bow thruster tube has been repaired with a epoxy filler however one side or the repair had separated allowing water to pass through. The laminate looks dry and clean.

The patch on the keel reveled 3 broken stainless screws antifouled or gel coated over.
 These had also opened up allowing water to pass through. The laminate looks dry.

Both areas will dry within time for next month launch, I recommend grinding the screws down below the laminate followed by a fiberglass patch and gel coated over, primer the antifouling. 

Thanks lewis

My reply..

Ahh that's a relief that it's not too bad Lewis. I did pop down there this afternoon and noticed that the tunnel crack had slowed down with the weeping, so I'm glad about that. Would it be prudent to scrape away the epoxy fill repair from both sides of the tube and do it all again properly?? 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

My reply..

Ahh that's a relief that it's not too bad Lewis. I did pop down there this afternoon and noticed that the tunnel crack had slowed down with the weeping, so I'm glad about that. Would it be prudent to scrape away the epoxy fill repair from both sides of the tube and do it all again properly?? 

His reply back....

I had a sigh of relief too,  there was no weeping or wet patches and I went pretty deep to. 
Yes I agree let's take the filler out and laminate the area for a nice repair.
When is your boat due to be launched?