boat /fishing meet

Solent Fishing meet  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Boats fueled and watered, tackle ready, Deans shopping for edible supplies as I type, chinos are packed and on the van all ready for our off at 7am tomorrow.

Tomorrows weather looks good, Saturday am looking ok with the wind rising as the day goes on with Sunday looking like a bumpy ride home

Our aim Friday is to fish south of the island then into the solent and onto Hamble river between 5/6pm

See you tomorrow

Apart from the last couple of hours of the ebb on both Saturday and Sunday we will have wind with tide. Tides are also small so the chop should not be too bad in the solent, if much at all. Look forward to all of your arrivals tomorrow! 

Yes, I hope you all have a good weekend and hopefully some decent dangling.

I was thinking about going out tomorrow, but really still not well enough, but hey, getting there slowly as my body gets used to the side effects.

The next nice day will see me out on the wrecks.

Made it to Mercury safely in the end, despite my best efforts at the fuel pontoon @Scotch_Egg2012 🤣

vFiCHnb.jpg

@JonC, @Geoff, @Maverick, @captin slows old outlaw and @Saintly Fish are all looking forward to tomorrow's dangling. The start time however is directly proportional to the number of pints sunk this evening!

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Cmon boys, how did it go ?

It got bumpy this afternoon. Some of us are still feeling the floor rock... jury's out if that's because of the sea state this afternoon or the refreshments this evening.

Ti3uwli.jpg

On 7/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, Andy135 said:

Made it to Mercury safely in the end, despite my best efforts at the fuel pontoon @Scotch_Egg2012 🤣

vFiCHnb.jpg

@JonC, @Geoff, @Maverick, @captin slows old outlaw and @Saintly Fish are all looking forward to tomorrow's dangling. The start time however is directly proportional to the number of pints sunk this evening!

I did slow in case you needed a hand.  Looked like you had it under control though. 

I never fuel up on the outside of that pontoon you get beat up by wash etc. 

Hope the fishing was good looked a little bumpy when I drove past Lee. 

More details in due course, but it's fair to say that @Saintly Fish deserves a medal for all of his organisation of the meet and his skippering this afternoon. Some good fish were had by all.

@captin slows old outlaw and I had to work hard for ours but we avoided the blank eventually with a mackerel on a bream rig and this decent smoothound that took the bait like a steam train. Not huge but very sporting.

pCklsEs.jpg

3 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I did slow in case you needed a hand.  Looked like you had it under control though. 

I never fuel up on the outside of that pontoon you get beat up by wash etc. 

Hope the fishing was good looked a little bumpy when I drove past Lee. 

Yep, thanks Scott. I saw that you hung back in case I got stuck - appreciated. 👍

Lesson learned - always tie off on a centre clear, and never the stern when there's a breeze blowing the bow off the pontoon! 😳

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

More details in due course, but it's fair to say that @Saintly Fish deserves a medal for all of his organisation of the Metz and his skippering this afternoon. Some good fish were had by all.

@captin slows old outlaw and I had to work hard for ours but we avoided the blank eventually with a mackerel on a bream rig and this decent smoothound that took the bait like a steam train. Not huge but very sporting.

pCklsEs.jpg

Good that the fish gods duly delivered.  

36 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

It got bumpy this afternoon. Some of us are still feeling the floor rock... jury's out if that's because of the sea state this afternoon or the refreshments this evening.

Ti3uwli.jpg

Who's that on the left, he's got his kids tee shirt on by the looks and is that fishy with an earing !

9 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Who's that on the left, he's got his kids tee shirt on by the looks and is that fishy with an earing !

@JonC is wearing his kid's tee shirt and yes, that's @Saintly Fishwith an earring. 🤣

So we had a lovely weekend which started of with our small flotilla of boats leaving Mercury yacht harbour at circa 8am.

Madness and Jersey Girl. 
62BF3B6A-7B69-4F2A-86B7-4B4EFB0D9E81.jpeg.e6ec65751136effa24fa8461b76882fd.jpeg

@JonCchose this opportune moment to change the mono on his reel.
873C6F97-7F05-46FB-B3CC-45B68511F068.jpeg.eaf51304c443fe4467d30461c1d6787f.jpeg

Once out of the Hamble we turned east and headed to Browndown. This gave @Andy135 and Jersey Girl a chance to play in my wake. 
BD855FBB-B958-481F-8CCB-DC52D4E0A7D9.jpeg.3306c6608e9952e3ec931f56c6ac8b53.jpeg

AE58B0C7-D4E5-4BE2-A215-FD403C199737.jpeg.18592c5b84de44148af91a9134b3df15.jpeg
Once on the mark we anchored firmly (well Tarlach Too did, the other amateurs struggled). We thought Andy and @captin slows old outlaw had had a lovers tiff because Andy spent so much time on the bow! 🤣

Any way fishing wasn’t prolific, I had a mackerel on my first drop down which took a frozen sand eel. 
Jon managed to professional unhook a hound before it reached the boat and Leo had a nice little 6lb hound. We also had a splattering of LSD.

The fishing wasn’t very good, we sat it out for 4 hours then I made the decision to pull the pick and relocate. 
So next mark was quarter mile west of the East bramble cardinal bouy. This proved to be a better choice. 
For about 2 hours we were kept busy with a series of small fish, mainly dogs, small hound pups and a first for my boat, Leo landed a couple of very pretty Bull huss pups. 
DAB3C4B5-BB98-443C-98E6-6882891F4CF6.jpeg.d69dd0f4391f8369644150f778a68050.jpeg

F0925B8E-5B78-4F4D-885E-36CE994E7E56.jpeg.7480757f192989d2c5a0c28bc960da06.jpeg

Then Jon got into his stride and landed a nice hound, and a lovely bream which went to around 1.5lb. 
F7C6D034-5DB3-46EA-917A-031A18BF4568.jpeg.9e66ceac6a66436b3b3d5e92ca41f363.jpeg

7CB0D3AA-2F5B-42FE-BD0C-9C9531ADBA69.jpeg.1d2ab85b74e351ffe0725bae20555a3f.jpeg

Leo also had another 6lb hound. 

CBFB6107-467A-4C88-9C8B-80D23F855DA0.jpeg.6d537e0b4fb7dff32fe77b99e4e333e2.jpeg

After that the fishing died off again. So in an attempt to make Jons long drive down seem worth it, we relocated again to Hillhead. Fishing in only 4m of water and not a lot of tide I knew it would be tough but there was every chance of a decent hound because of the decent beach fishing there. And soon enough Jon landed his “biggest hound” comp winning fish. A decent double figure, at just over 10lb. Not a long fish but very round, muscular and determined to hide himself in my net by rolling and rolling and covering himself in the mesh. 
D50FA7B5-FD1A-4054-BE16-A9002FAF85FE.jpeg.d1d3dc4ef207fcb06635173276c2ec05.jpeg

And that was really that. The wind and chop started getting up so at around 4pm we headed home ready for showers and a night out. 
A great day out and a pleasure to have @JonC on board making a mess with his worms!! 🤣

@Maverick had a couple of other species on his boat. But I’ll leave him to tell you about them! 👍🏻

14 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I saw people catch fish, but only on my boat. I saw Andy look like he was about to, but didn’t. 
but then did……. Eventually …. 

he didnot whont to show us all up

it was a grate day out,  i caught the specermon of the day a star fish  🤣  neal put a lote of effert into this meating and deservs my thanks at least.

he gained a new cushon, ( fishy that )

andy was the perfact host skipper, even thoug he krpt giving me the finger ( whinch singnells  )

the eavning was grate putting faces to names and to top it off england one 4 nill i am looking forward to next years meet all ready