my project boat ( or mony pit )

captin slows old outlaw

2/3 ds rubed down , removed 2 layers of jell coat, willbe appling a new layer of jell coat wether permiting tommorow.

then rub down lightly and second coat. i might put a resin coat on top to give it depth ?  any thoughts on that

3 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

2/3 ds rubed down , removed 2 layers of jell coat, willbe appling a new layer of jell coat wether permiting tommorow.

then rub down lightly and second coat. i might put a resin coat on top to give it depth ?  any thoughts on that

And there was me thinking you were going to report that you’d finished before Geoff! 

9 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

Yeah. 
My thoughts on gel coat after doing a few small repairs are it’s a pain in the arse. 

23 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

Glad to see that you are back on it Pete. Pete Gel coat is waterproof, resin is not so do not overcoat the gel with resin. Geoff.

15 hours ago, Geoff said:

Glad to see that you are back on it Pete. Pete Gel coat is waterproof, resin is not so do not overcoat the gel with resin. Geoff.

Geoff.... If resin is not waterproof then why are you supposed to seal all woodwork with it? Isn't gelcoat just a resin with colour pigment and with wax its flow coat?

Sorry, I just find that confusing

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Geoff.... If resin is not waterproof then why are you supposed to seal all woodwork with it? Isn't gelcoat just a resin with colour pigment and with wax its flow coat?

Sorry, I just find that confusing

Steve, obviously gelcoat is a form of resin and contains pigment, but it is designed to form the outside (or inside) smooth hard and almost water resistant skin of a fibreglas mould/moulding. Just using resin with pigment is not the same, other wise why bother using gelcoat. I am not a chemist so cannot comment about the actual composition of the product, but stand by the comments that I made earlier. If Pete wants to put on a final clearcoat then he should use clear gelcoat - but why bother? Geoff.☺️

Edited by Geoff

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Steve, obviously gelcoat is a form of resin and contains pigment, but it is designed to form the outside (or inside) smooth hard and almost water resistant skin of a fibreglas mould/moulding. Just using resin with pigment is not the same, other wise why bother using gelcoat. I am not a chemist so cannot comment about the actual composition of the product, but stand by the comments that I made earlier. If Pete wants to put on a final clearcoat then he should use clear gelcoat - but why bother? Geoff.☺️

I'm not calling into question what you're sayin, just saying that kinda flies against the advice of sealing wood with resin which I find confusing, as its not sealed at all.....

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I'm not calling into question what you're sayin, just saying that kinda flies against the advice of sealing wood with resin which I find confusing, as its not sealed at all.....

I would recommend a tin hat. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

2 hours to fix the bow roller on. what a rigmoroll. forward cleat 20 minits now im n---d.

Yeah, I seem to remember it is a fit fiddly right under the bow, and you have to shape the plywood backing to fit the pointy bit ................ 👍

• 2 weeks later...

well it they said it would rain, so i put the wire brush on the grinder and started taking off the old panit. it did rain and i have taken the windows out, so a bit wet. i got about a 1/4 of the cabin dun.

any idears on replacement widows for the boat.

i thought a light smoke rather than black or clear

6 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

well it they said it would rain, so i put the wire brush on the grinder and started taking off the old panit. it did rain and i have taken the windows out, so a bit wet. i got about a 1/4 of the cabin dun.

A light smoke isn't too bad, but if you are caught out in the dark and need to look through them, then visibility will be reduced. I'm sure you already knew this anyway..... Keep up the good work Trev and get some pics posted 👍

8 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

A light smoke isn't too bad, but if you are caught out in the dark and need to look through them, then visibility will be reduced. I'm sure you already knew this anyway..... Keep up the good work Trev and get some pics posted 👍

I have to agree with Paulo, a light tint would look good Mark, but don’t over do it. 

8 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

The windscreen on the RIB has a slight tint which is great in good sunny weather, but in low light conditions  I tend to stand up and look over the top  to maximise visibility, but I only have one good eye at the moment !

51 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

bludy rain , i have been cleaning the bits and boobs to back on the boat cleaning the old paint off carnt really do a lot in the rain

Boobs eh? You old sea dog you 😉🤣👍

9 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

well it came , but so did the rain,

i got 2 done, so i will see what tomorow brings. some i will have to drill out. so i can get the rivert inn. what happened to gloreus may.

What are you making ?