Find Jon cook a new boat

Agree with the above, you did right to walk. If nothing else he will now be second-guessing himself about the asking price. Leave him to stew for a week and call him again with a realistic offer. He may just bite your arm off.

If not, there's no harm in sitting tight and waiting for the right boat 👍

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Can always sell the 80hp and purchase a 115

Supply situation may be better now, but when I bought my 115 Merc back in the summer I had to pay a bit over the odds for it and no discount. That does look like a very nice boat. Geoff.

• 3 months later...
43 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

IIRC the mercruiser 1.7 was the vauxhall astra lump ? Proper unreliable POS, notorious for Turbo, cracked head, and oil cooler  issues, so I guess a new engine will be needed.

6 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

IIRC the mercruiser 1.7 was the vauxhall astra lump ? Proper unreliable POS, notorious for Turbo, cracked head, and oil cooler  issues, so I guess a new engine will be needed.

Yes, but can be picked up for £3.5k. So if a bit of time was allowed then could be a good option. 

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Doesn't look particularly well cared for..... Would be reluctant to shell out 12k personally

The boat has a lot of potential but by the time a new engine is fitted it will cost similar to market value, though it will have the benefit of a new engine. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

The boat has a lot of potential but by the time a new engine is fitted it will cost similar to market value, though it will have the benefit of a new engine. 

Who says it needs a new engine. Might just be a gasket gone??

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Just saying it doesn't look well maintained.... You could easily add a new leg to the engine, not such a good deal then.....

53 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

True, BUT why would you knock £6k off of quoted value for a leaky gasket? You'd just fix it surely?

If it needs topping up frequently, theres a good possibilty it's run dry at some point

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I personally would personally always allow worst ways when looking at a project, going into this sort of thing with any degree of optimism about a quick cheap fix would be foolish in my opinion. 
Anything that comes easy is then a bonus. 

28 minutes ago, JonC said:

I personally would personally always allow worst ways when looking at a project, going into this sort of thing with any degree of optimism about a quick cheap fix would be foolish in my opinion. 
Anything that comes easy is then a bonus. 

I don't disagree, but being a doom munger is also not good. A hint of optimism always helps. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Personally I would not want that particular engine in a boat. Historically they were bad as a motor vehicle engine. 

If it uses a lot of oil, there is more than a fair the engine has significant issues.

9 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Personally I would not want that particular engine in a boat. Historically they were bad as a motor vehicle engine. 

If it uses a lot of oil, there is more than a fair the engine has significant issues.

Your repeating yourself Ian. As I said earlier, IF the engine is junk then a new one can be had for £3.5k. So even with fitting you'd break even when it came to sell, or possibly get more due to the allure of a new heart. 

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I don't disagree, but being a doom munger is also not good. A hint of optimism always helps. 

Only way to be with projects, otherwise you get right royally reamed and drastically out of pocket

36 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Think engines might be too heavy for transom,Honda`s are not light .

Expensive for a 2006 boat.