Find Jon cook a new boat

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give em a buzz tomorrow. Looking on the website, I'm thinking that its likely sold as its not actually listed on their for sale section, but ya never know.

A shetland 536 has come up local to me, very well priced an with a good engine / electonics package. Been busy googling them if anyone has opinions.

Edited by Jon cook
Fat fingers

6 minutes ago, Jon cook said:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give em a buzz tomorrow. Looking on the website, I'm thinking that its likely sold as its not actually listed on their for sale section, but ya never know.

A shetland 536 has come up local to me, very well priced an with a good engine / electonics package. Been busy googling them if anyone has opinions.

@suzook12 is the Shetland man I believe??

2 hours ago, Jon cook said:

When I was looking, every one had a very high opinion of shetland boats in general. The 536 is a double skinned boat with the layer of foam, so a bit heavier than mine. Owing to their age, attention to floor, transom etc a must and they usually have older outboards attached. They are well spoken of for sea keeping ability but they are quite small compared to the newer generation of boats.... Best bet, have a look, if ya like it, blag a sea trial then haggle.... If uncertain how to check transom etc, take someone who does, and if you can't fix yourself, expect to pay around a grand.....

Cant remember what engine size they are rated to, the 535 was 60hp, I have a feeling the 536 may be 75hp, but please don't hold me to that, and the old helpful website was taken down when it changed hands

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Your loaded mr two boats. Why not snap it up then sell it to @Jon cook then. 

Cos we don't even know if @Jon cook is even interested in it, and it would be just my luck to end up as Mr Three Boats... 🙄

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Cos we don't even know if @Jon cook is even interested in it, and it would be just my luck to end up as Mr Three Boats... 🙄

Well not a problem if your saying it won’t hang around long, or are you talking out of your opinion (little thread cross there)! 🤣

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well not a problem if your saying it won’t hang around long, or are you talking out of your opinion (little thread cross there)! 🤣

Lol. Very good. 🤣

But there's still every chance I'd get left with it... if only cos I might decide not to sell it!

#boathoarder

Apoligies, meant to reply these last replies earlier but forgot......

20' is pushing it an jumps the price of the mooring too. Its all yours @Andy135🤣

This is gonna sound naive, and i appreciate lockdown is making it harder but trying to find a bloody boat is much harder than I imagined!!😂

Almost came good on a 17ft centre consol not far from me this week but the engine is crap,  (and over rated for the boat) no electronics, and having done some digging could end up being a nightnare for various reasons. Plus I don't like being taken for a ride!

22 minutes ago, Jon cook said:

This is gonna sound naive, and i appreciate lockdown is making it harder but trying to find a bloody boat is much harder than I imagined!!😂

Not naive at all. It takes time to find the right boat. The usual method is to travel to see a boat, no matter where in the country it might be. Of course, lockdown has made that nigh on impossible so don't beat yourself up about it.

When lockdown ends I predict there will be lots of pent up demand for boats, and also lots of sellers marketing their boats. Give it until lockdown ends then commit to travelling wherever you need to, to find the right boat. It'll all be worth it in the end 👍

@Jon cook as Andy says, after lockdown get out there. But you’ll have to be quick, even if the boat you like is at the other side of the country. I have a feeling they won’t hang around too long. Always have cash on your hip too and test drive the damn thing before parting with some hard earned. 

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well this is a twist isn’t it?? I don’t remember you having centre console on your list?

I like a Center console boat, but I like fishing in a warm dry condition so I wouldn’t buy another boat without a shed. 
They are great for summer fishing but when you’re catching a big wave in the mouth in January they are no fun. 

I think it's hard to know what the market will do after lockdown. There is a chance there will be a glut of boats and prices coming down, there is chance there will be more unemployment before we're done yet, but on the other hand, there could be a shortage of boats as people want to use them after being locked up best part of a year..... We will have to wait and see...

1 minute ago, suzook12 said:

I think it's hard to know what the market will do after lockdown. There is a chance there will be a glut of boats and prices coming down, there is chance there will be more unemployment before we're done yet, but on the other hand, there could be a shortage of boats as people want to use them after being locked up best part of a year..... We will have to wait and see...

I remember us all saying in spring last year that prices would crash, telling @Andy135to wait but they up and up. 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

I remember us all saying in spring last year that prices would crash, telling @Andy135to wait but they up and up. 

Yeah, I think that's down to more leisure time and less people selling, seeing the same in the dirt bike market at the moment... At some point they will come back to normal. Prices may crash, or may not, we won't know until it happens.

I think people getting furloughed helped as well, more leisure time but with a wage..... We haven't seen the effects of all this crap weather will have on the food markets yet either, there are more puddles than fields in this area, albeit currently frozen, but with a week of heavy rain predicted, might have to quickly find a bung for the shetland lol

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well this is a twist isn’t it?? I don’t remember you having centre console on your list?

I fish on a mates center consol, a wellcraft 22'.

Whilst it wasn't at the forefront of my mind it kinda makea sense given that the majority will be luring or drifting.  

Realistically i can't see much use in the winter months unless weather is spot on.

19 minutes ago, Jon cook said:

I fish on a mates center consol, a wellcraft 22'.

Whilst it wasn't at the forefront of my mind it kinda makea sense given that the majority will be luring or drifting.  

Realistically i can't see much use in the winter months unless weather is spot on.

Then maybe a rib is worth considering?? @GPSguru is your man for advice on those, he loves a throbbing lump of rubber between his legs!! 😉