Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

Last weekend (28/29) was a complete disaster, the tides were perfect but the weather and sea state didn't play by the forecast.

On Saturday the live sea state was lagging the forecast by about 6 hours, and I didn't fancy drifting in a 1.2m @3.8sec swell, when the forecast was 0.4m @ 10secs, which didn't happen until later in the evening.

I left the boat all ready to go as Sunday had some promise, with a forecast of flat calm F2/F3 winds from the west, however, it would have been a morning session as the wind was forecast with F5 gusts from 13:00 onwards. When I checked the weather at 6:00am on Sunday morning, the F5 gusts had moved to 09:00, so I binned the idea of going out. To give you an idea of how the wind makes the sea change, at 08:00 the live data was showing 0.19m @14secs, at 09:30 with the wind, it had changed to 0.61m @ 1.7 secs !

This coming Sat, Sun, Mon, & Tues are showing some promise.

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Last weekend (28/29) was a complete disaster, the tides were perfect but the weather and sea state didn't play by the forecast.

On Saturday the live sea state was lagging the forecast by about 6 hours, and I didn't fancy drifting in a 1.2m @3.8sec swell, when the forecast was 0.4m @ 10secs, which didn't happen until later in the evening.

I left the boat all ready to go as Sunday had some promise, with a forecast of flat calm F2/F3 winds from the west, however, it would have been a morning session as the wind was forecast with F5 gusts from 13:00 onwards. When I checked the weather at 6:00am on Sunday morning, the F5 gusts had moved to 09:00, so I binned the idea of going out. To give you an idea of how the wind makes the sea change, at 08:00 the live data was showing 0.19m @14secs, at 09:30 with the wind, it had changed to 0.61m @ 1.7 secs !

This coming Sat, Sun, Mon, & Tues are showing some promise.

This post is about ‘who’s out at the weekend’ , not who didn’t go last weekend. Please post in the relevant section, the non going out reports. Thanks for your ongoing support, Jon. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

That's rude. Jon was on his bestest polite behaviour and you flip him the bird!! 
Bloody pensioners, no respect, no discipline!! 

In our day the pensioners used to be seen but not heard.

11 hours ago, JonC said:

This post is about ‘who’s out at the weekend’ , not who didn’t go last weekend. Please post in the relevant section, the non going out reports. Thanks for your ongoing support, Jon. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

That's rude. Jon was on his bestest polite behaviour and you flip him the bird!! 
Bloody pensioners, no respect, no discipline!! 

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

In our day the pensioners used to be seen but not heard.

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

What's the world coming to??

When I was younger, we were taught to respect the elderly, but I guess that is never going happen with the mix of a pot noodle munching geriatric hippy, a plumber, and a nerd.

I rest my case. ✌️🖕🙄

Sadly not us. 

Had the new engine serviced and got a £2k bill because the shift rod is partially seized and the powerhead needs to be removed to get it out to replace the bushes it runs in. Could do it myself but I just don't have time any time soon and its a big job with very limited outboard experience so we are taking the hit. I expect its why the engine was sold but its the risk you take with a used engine

Just now, LostPiker said:

Sadly not us. 

Had the new engine serviced and got a £2k bill because the shift rod is partially seized and the powerhead needs to be removed to get it out to replace the bushes it runs in. Could do it myself but I just don't have time any time soon and its a big job with very limited outboard experience so we are taking the hit. I expect its why the engine was sold but its the risk you take with a used engine

Ouch - that's not good at all.

4 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Sadly not us. 

That's not great. Can you not pass it on and put the £2k toward a new unit?

31 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Sadly not us. 

That’s really bad. There are some really unscrupulous people out there. 

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That's not great. Can you not pass it on and put the £2k toward a new unit?

I think I’d be thinking on those lines, sell it on with an honest spares or repair description. I don’t know know how much money has been invested already but another 2 bags sounds painful. 
I take it the engine came from a private seller and not a dealer? 

5 hours ago, JonC said:

I think I’d be thinking on those lines, sell it on with an honest spares or repair description. I don’t know know how much money has been invested already but another 2 bags sounds painful. 
I take it the engine came from a private seller and not a dealer? 

Yes, sold as seen. It's very low hours and he said it had sat for a couple of years. Did a compression test and heard it running, expensive way to learn to check it goes into gear. We could sell damaged bit I think we'll end up spending the same overall and having the risk of another dodgy one plus the delay. Just going to swallow it, chalk it up to experience and hopefully get out on the boat soon

5 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Sadly not us. 

There are those above who are saying flick it on at probably a loss and invest the money into another engine, personally I don't think that is the way forward.

If you have the engine at a reputable dealer, that you trust, then I think the £2K could be a very wise investment.

If, and only if, the dealer thinks the engine is perfectly serviceable, then getting this fixed will give you a good engine for maybe years to come, and the dealer is going to give you some warranty on their work (I would ask for 6 months, but you will probably get 3 months.

If you flick it on, and get another motor, the high risk of exactly what you are buying is still there.

A good few years ago, I bought a Johnson VRO, and it ran perfectly. Unbeknown to me, this engine had suffered water damage and after a few hours of running it threw a conrod out the side of the block. I managed at the time to get a known good 'short' powerhead (block complete with crank and pistons) for £600 and did the rebuild myself. Although that was a few years ago, that engine is still in use today.

Edited by GPSguru

5 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Yes, sold as seen. It's very low hours and he said it had sat for a couple of years. Did a compression test and heard it running, expensive way to learn to check it goes into gear. We could sell damaged bit I think we'll end up spending the same overall and having the risk of another dodgy one plus the delay. Just going to swallow it, chalk it up to experience and hopefully get out on the boat soon

Hopefully you will iron out the problems soon. Knowingly selling something that is faulty without stating the faults is just a scummy thing to do. I don’t know how people can work like that.

Last minute idea this afternoon to head out after hearing a hot bite was on with marlin. Striped, blacks and even a blue had been hooked before we reached the continental shelf, some boats with triple hookups.

Bait was scarce but we eventually had around 10 mackerel in the live well which we soon set back out at a slow troll speed of 2kn. Didn't take long for one to hook up to a solid fish, which unfortunately turned out to be a large hammerhead. After 20 mins we had this one boat side where a good pull on the leader parted the mono just above the hook. Another two decent sized sharks soon followed but unfortunately non of the desired marlin. Fun afternoon, plenty of gannets, albatross, dolphins and free jumping marlin.

I believe we may of attracted the sharks due to a very noisy pump supply to the deck wash, bait tank and tuna tubes.

Edited by JDP

5 hours ago, JDP said:

Last minute idea this afternoon to head out after hearing a hot bite was on with marlin. Striped, blacks and even a blue had been hooked before we reached the continental shelf, some boats with triple hookups.

Bait was scarce but we eventually had around 10 mackerel in the live well which we soon set back out at a slow troll speed of 2kn. Didn't take long for one to hook up to a solid fish, which unfortunately turned out to be a large hammerhead. After 20 mins we had this one boat side where a good pull on the leader parted the mono just above the hook. Another two decent sized sharks soon followed but unfortunately non of the desired marlin. Fun afternoon, plenty of gannets, albatross, dolphins and free jumping marlin.

I believe we may of attracted the sharks due to a very noisy pump supply to the deck wash, bait tank and tuna tubes.

I assume that you have pictures? 

6 hours ago, JDP said:

A separate report would be nice @JDP!! 
This thread is supposed to be for reporting who's going out and not who has gone out! Ta

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

A separate report would be nice @JDP!! 
This thread is supposed to be for reporting who's going out and not who has gone out! Ta

I was going to do that but thought going off the previous posts that this had turned into a general chat thread!!!!.....I also thought I could slip it under Jons radar without having to get pictures off my camera, down load to the computer and resize just to make an official catch report. If we had caught the chosen target and gotten decent pictures I may of gone to a bit of effort, however this was a last minute decision to "head out on the weekend"

32 minutes ago, JDP said:

I was going to do that but thought going off the previous posts that this had turned into a general chat thread!!!!.....I also thought I could slip it under Jons radar without having to get pictures off my camera, down load to the computer and resize just to make an official catch report. If we had caught the chosen target and gotten decent pictures I may of gone to a bit of effort, however this was a last minute decision to "head out on the weekend"

Well, ok I'll let it slide this time. But next, make more effort!!