Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

Just had a few days away in the part converted vw camper this week, so missed all the news. I hope all is still going well with your op Ian and that you will soon be making us green with envy reading about your trips/catches. Geoff.☺️

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Anyone else eyeing up the settled spell coming through? Back half of next week looks mint on the south coast 🤞

Yes, most definitely 👍

Actually the sea forecast is very good for tomorrow, but the wind is in the South and picking up to early F4 by Midday, which will give a wind over tide situation here in Lyme Bay, so I will probably give it a miss.

However, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday looks good, and as a bonus it is neap tides. If the weather holds (which is a bit of a lottery this time of year) then I will head out to the wrecks on both Thursday and Friday mornings.

I shall hopefully be in Tenerife Saturday, but if Mrs Swamps covid pass isn't available by then (her 10 day iso period doesn't end until midnight Sat), I will probably take a trip down to Horseshoe rock, Ilfracombe

If nothing much down there, will head up towards Minehead way and give that a try on way back up

BTW, had my double figure Bass today out of Brixham, will do a short report tomorrow, knackered now

2 hours ago, JonC said:

What sort of ground are you looking for in your area for spurdog? 

More important is depth,  we look for the marks over 70ft and then we're looking for the banks in those depths,  we have quite a few. 

The Overfalls, Cuba plus Utopia (which is a long gulley known for Hounds and Tope) all of those produce Spurs, the problem this time of year is getting the small tides you need coupled with a weather window calm enough to get on them, I've been trying since end of October but it hasn't happened yet. 

Ray got out Boxing day near Cuba and had 2 very good takes on his Cod baits resulting in 2 clean bite offs, typically I couldn't get out with him else I'd have been on a wire biting trace

I’ve kind of lost interest tbh…. 

Post covid I felt rough, I’ve been dogged out and ray’d out so I’m hanging up my gear until spring. Main sun is to get boat ready for summer, get her back to Milford and focus on early tope. 

Couple of weeks of fixing reels, making rigs, making chum and getting ready for the toothy critters me thinks! Hopefully March will see the pollack on the reefs or starting to appear  

9 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

More important is depth,  we look for the marks over 70ft and then we're looking for the banks in those depths,  we have quite a few. 

The Overfalls, Cuba plus Utopia (which is a long gulley known for Hounds and Tope) all of those produce Spurs, the problem this time of year is getting the small tides you need coupled with a weather window calm enough to get on them, I've been trying since end of October but it hasn't happened yet. 

same with the spurs and tope around here, the kidney banks off portland require very calm weather, and neap tides, then you are into 70ft with 100ft gulleys -thats where my tope came from - plus we had Spurs that day! (and double figure blondes) - only managed to get out there once last year - but it delivered.

not sure on the plan this weekend - was looking at getting out both Sat and Sun - hoping for the adamant/shambles but theres a bit more East in it now for Sat which can kill weymouth bay - we might find some shelter off lulworth banks but im not sure what its producing over there. Sunday should be good for a mixed species day!!

Went out today knowing that the wind would get up towards lunchtime so launched from South Shields yacht club ramp and headed out to the sandy muddy marks of the Tyne looking for some whiting, dabs and possibly a codling.

I didn't know that a dredger would be working there though! Gave it a bit of time and found some rough ground that must have been scoured by one of the storms that threw hundreds or thousands of tons of sand onto the prom and roads. NADA, I couldn't see my bait if it was more than 6" under the surface.

Peddling in there was a few people on the red groyne one of which were sat with a bit of rope in the water, then I heard the ILB contacting Tyne VTS to mobilize and 20 seconds later I see them head towards me from the opposite side of the river, putting 2 and 2 together I pointed to the end of the groyne and messaged Tyne VTS to inform the ILB by radio.

Another 20 seconds later and they were heading back to the station at full speed, with emergency services sirens being heard from both sides of the river. Why no one on the peir flagged me down I don't know unless it was a body retrieval?

Nothing on the local news or RNLI  yet.