Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

1 hour ago, JDP said:

How are you going in regards to free-diving Andy ? 

Really enjoying it but having trouble staying down/being too buoyant. Might need to add some more weight to my dive belt. Also struggle with equalizing in one of my ears, which makes deeper diving painful. Any tips?

14 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Really enjoying it but having trouble staying down/being too buoyant. Might need to add some more weight to my dive belt. Also struggle with equalizing in one of my ears, which makes deeper diving painful. Any tips?

Stick to one thing and perfect it? 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

More weights. Lots more 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Eat less pies 🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

There are lots of small airways, not just the nasal passage, clearing these will greatly help with equalising. A steam bath (bowl with towel over your head) will help clear those. Equalise lots and before you start feeling any pain or pinch, even if you are doing every half metre until you get to know how pressure effects you. 

Decend very slow without taking big breaths. The big breath is simply like having a balloon in your lungs which will obviously make you more buoyant and less relaxed. There are numerous dive weight formulas online which go off your weight and the thickness of you wetsuit. At the surface to 2-3m Im quite buoyant but weighted to sink after those depths. If I was only targeting species in the shallows I could simply add a little more weight.

The main thing is to do everything slow and relaxed and don't try pushing anything that feels uncomfortable. Only time in the water will increase you time under it. Ive just started working with a group of youngsters free diving who imagined they would all be awesome gun free divers, which they've suddenly realised they aren't yet. Its great diving with them as they are taking so much onboard and getting better with each dive now that they aren't pushing themselves.

Im very out of shape from how I used to be and compared to my daughter, which is simply because I used to spend most of my time in the boat as I couldn't keep up with her. This guy posts some very good videos on free diving with plenty of things that will help you out, he also dives over 100m on breath hold. There are also free dive courses in the UK which should help you.

Edited by JDP

On 8/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, Andy135 said:

I'm back in Cornwall this weekend and hoping to find a new rock mark or two to try with the shore jigs.

Well, I got out for an early morning session back in Fowey on Saturday but only managed three micro-pollack on the slow jig. You all know what a small pollack looks like so no pics or a full report, but suffice to say it was an underwhelming outing this time sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JDP said:

Only did a quick dog walk on the beach and took a rod for a couple of salmon to make fish bake. I have a big trip coming up though next week, 4300km up the coast and 90km offshore to an island where I will fish for 10-12 days. 

I pressed thee agree button, not because I agree, but because it is the colour of envy! Good luck with your trip, and looking forward to the pics. Geoff

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I pressed thee agree button, not because I agree, but because it is the colour of envy! Good luck with your trip, and looking forward to the pics. Geoff

I’m going to have to mark your homework down here Geoff, we have standards to keep up. 

Stuff the fishing we had a great day. 

Swimming pool in the morning, snacks afterwards, snooze for the little tyke and another cuppa for grandad, lunch then meeting friends and finally an hour at the beach throwing stones in the water, saying hi to the dogs, paddling, running, drawing in the sand with sticks, fingers and ice cream afterwards. 

If I went fishing I'd be asleep by now and waking up tomorrow aching all over. 

It's the little things. 

16 hours ago, Malc said:

Stuff the fishing we had a great day. 

Swimming pool in the morning, snacks afterwards, snooze for the little tyke and another cuppa for grandad, lunch then meeting friends and finally an hour at the beach throwing stones in the water, saying hi to the dogs, paddling, running, drawing in the sand with sticks, fingers and ice cream afterwards. 

If I went fishing I'd be asleep by now and waking up tomorrow aching all over. 

It's the little things. 

Great post ………. Wait until you have to do the afternoon school run, that can be a challenge. We do it 3 days per week, but it at least allows me to go fishing in the morning and pick up the tiddler at 3:00pm, but parking the jeep and the RIB at the school sometimes presents a challenge.